Laser and hair - scattering or destructive interference?

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving a laser beam and a strand of human hair. The speaker reproduced the experiment and observed a pattern of scattered light, leading to a discussion of whether this is a result of destructive interference or simple scattering. The speaker also mentions the author's explanation of the experiment as illustrating something "magical" with light, but they are still unsure of the concept. Ultimately, it is determined that the experiment demonstrates interference of light waves and not quantum behavior. The conversation also touches on the related phenomenon of diffraction around a small object.
Spathi
TL;DR Summary
However it is still unclear for me: is this a real destructive interference which illustrates the wave properties of photons, or simply a scattering (if the hair reflects the light at an angle)?
There is a video, where the author shows the interference of laser beam on a strand of human’s hair:

I bought a laser pointer and reproduced this experiment. Indeed, when a single hair is placed on the way of the laser beam, I see the “scattering” picture (a series of points with intervals of approximately 1 mm). However it is still unclear for me: is this a real destructive interference which illustrates the wave properties of photons, or simply a scattering (if the hair reflects the light at an angle)?
Later on the authors tries to explain that this experiment illustrates something “magical” with the light, but I didn’t yet understand her idea.

Physics news on Phys.org
Spathi said:
However it is still unclear for me: is this a real destructive interference which illustrates the wave properties of photons, or simply a scattering (if the hair reflects the light at an angle)?
It's interference. Scattering from a near-homogenous object (like a hair) doesn't produce spaced patterns of light and dark spots.

Spathi said:
Later on the authors tries to explain that this experiment illustrates something “magical” with the light, but I didn’t yet understand her idea.
I didn't spend 15 minutes going through the whole video so I can't answer this. If you have a timestamp I'll be happy to watch it.

Spathi said:
Neither, although it is destructive and constructive interference of light waves. It shows that light is a wave, a piece of classical physics observed early in the 19th century that has nothing to do with photons and quantum mechanics. To demonstrate any quantum behavior of light we need an experiment that builds up the interference pattern over time out of single-photon detections.

Likes LittleSchwinger, vanhees71 and PeroK
You can think of diffraction around a narrow linear obstacle as sort of complementary to single-slit diffraction.

A related phenomenon is diffraction around a small 2-dimensional object such as a disk. This has a historically important example in Arago's spot, a.k.a. (ironically) Poisson's spot.

Likes vanhees71 and PeroK
Both. What you are seeing is interference between the (planar) incident and (cylindrical) scattered wave.

Likes vanhees71

1. How does laser hair removal work?

Laser hair removal works by targeting the pigment in the hair follicles with a concentrated beam of light. The light is absorbed by the pigment, which then converts to heat and damages the follicle, inhibiting hair growth.

2. What is the difference between scattering and destructive interference in laser hair removal?

Scattering occurs when the laser beam is scattered and loses its intensity, making it less effective in targeting the hair follicles. Destructive interference, on the other hand, occurs when the laser beams cancel each other out, resulting in no effect on the hair follicles.

3. Can laser hair removal cause skin damage?

Laser hair removal is generally safe when performed by a trained professional. However, there is a risk of skin damage if the laser is not used properly or if the skin is not properly prepped before the treatment. It is important to follow all aftercare instructions to minimize the risk of skin damage.

4. How many sessions of laser hair removal are typically needed?

The number of sessions needed for laser hair removal varies depending on factors such as hair thickness, skin type, and the area being treated. On average, 6-8 sessions are needed for permanent hair reduction.

5. Is laser hair removal permanent?

Laser hair removal can provide long-lasting hair reduction, but it is not considered a permanent solution. Some hair may still grow back, but it is typically finer and lighter in color. Maintenance sessions may be needed to maintain the results.