Destructive Interference of 2 Lasers?

In summary: However, unlike RF signals where the energy is localized, the energy in laser light is spread out over a very large area. This means that even if the two beams are in perfect destructive interference, parts of the beam will still be projecting out into the surrounding area.
greswd
If I have 2 identical laser pointers, is it possible for me to point them both at the same spot on a wall and see no light at all due to complete destructive interference?

Science news on Phys.org
Could you give more details for your scenario? Because even for perfect lasers, you will have to aim them at a slight angle to each other to it the same spot, and this will have consequences.

Also, are you asking about ideal lasers, or actual devices?

Actual lasers, but of the highest quality allowed by the laws of physics. Even if both are at an angle, we still can align the wave vectors right?

greswd said:
Actual lasers, but of the highest quality allowed by the laws of physics. Even if both are at an angle, we still can align the wave vectors right?
Unless they are perfectly overlapping, you cannot get a perfect cancellation everywhere. I don't see how you could place the screen such that you get only destructive interference.

Actual lasers will also have a finite coherence time, so even if the spot was dark, it won't be dark for long.

greswd said:
If I have 2 identical laser pointers, is it possible for me to point them both at the same spot on a wall and see no light at all due to complete destructive interference?

The lasers need to be mutually coherent, otherwise there will be no interference. This can be done by phase locking the sources; for example:

arxiv.org/pdf/1405.0596

greswd said:
same spot on a wall and see no light at all due to complete destructive
Energy is conserved so, if there is destructive interference in one spot, there will be constructive interference somewhere else. The energy just has to go somewhere.

DrClaude said:
Unless they are perfectly overlapping, you cannot get a perfect cancellation everywhere.
Actually, it's worse than that. The only way to get your cancellation 'everywhere' is for the phase centres of the two sources in exactly the same place and for the distribution patterns to be identical. That, I think, would imply that even the emitting atoms would need to be in the same places.
As usual, I find it worthwhile bringing in the RF equivalent setup. The situation in the OP could involve two transmitting antennae, exactly co-sited, and driven in antiphase, with their feed connections to the antenna in the same place (i.e. the same antenna) will simply produce a zero driving voltage at that point. This would present each transmitter with a short circuit load - which it will not like, haha, and either they blow themselves up or involve an electricity bill for achieving nothing. This idea would also translate to optics and lasers which would be fighting each other just like the two RF transmitters. The practical details are beyond me and the situation is probably unobtainable. I guess an arrangement of half silvered mirrors could easily be made in which no power came out of one port but all the power would have to emerge from the other one. Again, there is an easy RF model which could achieve this.

You are right, there will always be an interference pattern.

Related to Destructive Interference of 2 Lasers?

What is destructive interference of 2 lasers?

Destructive interference of 2 lasers occurs when two laser beams of the same wavelength and amplitude meet and cancel each other out, resulting in a decrease or complete elimination of the light intensity in that area.

How does destructive interference occur?

Destructive interference occurs when the peaks of one laser beam align with the troughs of another laser beam, causing the waves to cancel each other out.

What factors affect the degree of destructive interference?

The degree of destructive interference is affected by the relative phase difference between the two laser beams, the angle at which they intersect, and the wavelength and amplitude of the lasers.

What are the potential applications of destructive interference of 2 lasers?

Destructive interference of 2 lasers can be used in various applications such as optical data storage, holographic imaging, and interferometric measurements.

How is destructive interference of 2 lasers different from constructive interference?

Destructive interference results in a decrease or elimination of light intensity, whereas constructive interference results in an increase in light intensity. Additionally, destructive interference occurs when the waves are out of phase, while constructive interference occurs when the waves are in phase.