Advice on Last Minute Physics Course Load for Drop/Add Week

• Thread starter malignant
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is currently taking 18 credits, including a mix of upper division physics courses such as E&M, mechanics, PDEs, and relativity/modern physics. They are considering dropping their advanced linear algebra course, which is not required but was taken to help with quantum mechanics, as it may be too challenging without a prior intro to higher math course. They are seeking advice on whether or not to continue with the linear algebra course and if it will be beneficial for their studies in quantum mechanics.
malignant
I actually have less than an hour before drop/add week ends and am completely stumped. Currently I'm taking:

2nd semester of the upper division e&m
2nd semester of the upper division mechanics
PDEs
A relativity/modern physics course (not a qm course, that comes next year)
Advanced linear algebra

This totals to 18 credits and I'm not sure if that's at all realistic for physics. I'm not too afraid of any of the physics classes because I did well in the first semester of the upper division e&m and mechanics.

The one I'm thinking about switching out for a lab is the advanced linear algebra. It's not required but I decided to take it to help with QM but it might be a bit much. It's a 4th year math course and so far it's pretty much all proofs and I didn't take the intro to higher math course which is recommended for the proofs. I learned some proofs back when I took discrete math a long time ago.

Any advice on whether or not to take the linear algebra? Will it even help much with qm if it's all proofs?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's too late, but linear algebra will help in quantum mechanics.

1. How many credits should I take during drop/add week?

It is generally recommended to not exceed more than 18 credits during drop/add week, as it can put a lot of strain on your schedule and may lead to burnout. However, it ultimately depends on your individual capabilities and time management skills.

2. Can I drop a physics course during drop/add week?

Yes, you can drop a physics course during drop/add week if you feel overwhelmed or if the course is not a good fit for you. Just make sure to check the school's drop/add policy and any potential consequences, such as a tuition refund or transcript notation.

3. How can I manage a last minute physics course load effectively?

To manage a last minute physics course load effectively, it is important to prioritize your tasks and create a study schedule. Make sure to also communicate with your professors if you need any extra support or accommodations.

4. Is it possible to add a physics course during drop/add week?

Yes, it is possible to add a physics course during drop/add week. However, keep in mind that the course may already be full or have a waitlist. Make sure to communicate with the professor and the department to see if any spots are available.

5. How can I catch up on missed material during drop/add week?

To catch up on missed material during drop/add week, you can reach out to classmates for notes or recordings of lectures. You can also schedule a meeting with the professor to go over any missed material or assignments and clarify any confusion.