1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Last question on integration (and i am stuck)

1. Jul 24, 2009 #1
    in plan view, the shoreline of a bay may be approximated by a curve f(x) = -x2 + 2x between one headland at x = 0 and another at x = 1km, where (f) is also measured in km. at low tide, the edge of the sea just reaches each headland, following a straight line between them. calculate in km2 the area of the bay uncovered by water at low tide?

does anyone get this ??

because i do not, whatsoever, i would try, but dont know where to start either let alone answer it :(

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Have you drawn a graph of the shore? Do you know what a headland is?

4. Jul 24, 2009 #3
    bare with me, i am a diagnosed dyslexic sorry, i know what a head land is, but i can not seem to go anywhere, im not comprehending this info lol

5. Jul 24, 2009 #4

Mark44

OK, then have you drawn a graph of the function f(x) = -x2 + 2x?

Also, are you sure about the information you've given in this problem? The graph doesn't show any headland at x = 1 km.

6. Jul 24, 2009 #5
    that is what the question says on my sheet mate, im sure i aint dyslexic and it is the bloody lectures that cant write down questions properly haha

7. Jul 24, 2009 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I would assume that the bay curves from (0,0) to (1,1) so the area sought is between the graphs y= x and y= -x^2+ 2x.

[tex]\int_0^2 x-(-x^2+ 2x) dx[/tex]

JakePearson, what is your purpose in telling us in one post that "i am a diagnosed dyslexic" and in the very next "im sure i aint dyslexic". If you are not dyslexic (and if you can spell "dyslexic" you probably aren't!) why tell us that you were diagnosed that way?

I see nothing wrong with the way the problem is given: there is one "headland" that extends to (0,0) and another that only extends to (1,1).

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  8. Jul 24, 2009 #7

Mark44

OK, draw a graph, and assume that the lecturer meant to say that there was a headland at x = 2 km, (and write this down on your work that you hand in), and then work the problem. Other than the misinformation given, it's pretty straightforward.

9. Jul 24, 2009 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why assume that? Is there any reason to think that the line between headlands is the x-axis?

10. Jul 25, 2009 #9

Mark44

Yes. The graph of y = -x2 + 2x naturally defines a bay with headlands at x = 0 and x = 2. the point at (1, 1) doesn't look much like a headland to me. In fact, it looks like the the point in the bay that is most inland, if that makes any sense.

I believe that there is a good chance that OP's lecturer erred in saying that there is a headland at x = 1.

11. Jul 25, 2009 #10
    Here's the graph...

WHy can't we just integrate the formula -x^2 + 2x between 0 and 1?

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook