1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find arclength of curve; stuck trying to integrate radical

1. Feb 3, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the arclength of the curve x = ⅓(y2+2)3/2 from y=0 to y=1.

2. Relevant equations
    (Please forgive the crazy definite integral symbols - I'm taking a LaTex class tomorrow so hopefully I'll be able to communicate more clearly from then on..!)

arclength of curve = ∫ab √ (1 + f'(x)2) dx

3. The attempt at a solution
    *Note: We haven't covered trig substitution in class yet & so I'm looking for a way to do this using u-substitution or another method.*

This is where I've gotten so far:

dx/dy = y√(y+2) = √(y3 + 2y2)

arclength = ∫01 √(1 + [√(y3 + 2y2)]2) dy
    = ∫01 √(1 + y3 + 2y2) dy

Then I get stuck. I've tried the following substitution:
    u = 1 + y3 + 2y2
    du = 3y2 + 2y

but that doesn't seem to help. I've also tried getting y in terms of x & integrating that but I reach a similar stumbling block with that approach too. Wolfram Alpha gives a nice clean answer of 4/3 which makes me think I'm missing something fairly obvious. Any pointers much appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2016 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You may want to double check your differentiation.

4. Feb 3, 2016 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your differentiation/arclength formula is incorrect; go back and check your algebra.

5. Feb 3, 2016 #4
    Aha! Thank you both for pointing out that error in computing the derivative - getting a nice factorizable expression now :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted