Latent heat and final temperature

In summary, the final temperature of the mixture of an aluminum container, water, iron, and ice can be found by balancing the heat gained by the aluminum container, water, and ice with the heat lost by the iron. After correcting for a previous error, the final temperature was calculated to be approximately 19.9°C, as confirmed by a simple energy balance check.
kimkibun

Homework Statement

An aluminum container whose mass is 205g contains 300g of water at 20°C. In this container is then placed 250g of iron at 150°C and 20g of ice at -10°C. Find the final temperature of the mixture.

Given:

mAl=205g
mH2O=300g
TAl1=TH2O1=20°C
mFe=250g
mice=20g
TFe=150°C
Tice=-10°C

Homework Equations

Since the heat gained by aluminum container, water, and ice is equal to heat lost by iron, then

QAl+QH2O+Qice=QFe

Q=mcΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

What is asked is the final temperature of mixture, Tmix. so,

QAl=(mAl)(cAl)(Tmix-TAl1)=(205g)(.21cal/g°C)(Tmix-20°C)=43.05Tmix-861

QH2O=(mH2O)(cH2O)(Tmix-TH2O1)=(300g)(1cal/g°C)(Tmix-20°C)=300Tmix-6000

Qice=(mice)(cice)(Tmix-Tice)+(mice)(Lf)=(20g)(.5cal/g°C)(Tmix-(-10°C))+(20g)(80cal/g)=10Tmix+100cal+1600cal

Lf is the latent heat of iceQFe=(mFe)(cFe)(TFe-Tmix)=(250g)(.11cal/g°C)(150°C-Tmix)=4125cal-27.5Tmix

Therefore,

(43.05Tmix-861cal)+(300Tmix-6000cal)+(10Tmix+100cal+1600cal)=4125cal-27.5Tmix

380.55Tmix=7564cal

Tmix=19.88°C

Is this correct? i think there's something wrong in my solution..

Physics news on Phys.org
Do this simple check to determine yourself whether your answer is correct. Take your final answer of 19.9 C and look at energy balances. You have energy lost by the vessel and its water. It is lost because the final temperature is lower than its initial temperature. Now determine how much energy the ice gained going from -10 C to 19.9 C including latent heat. Do the same for the energy loss of the iron going from 150 C to 19.9 C. Do you have a balance? If not, you did something wrong.

Do this simple check to determine yourself whether your answer is correct. Take your final answer of 19.9 C and look at energy balances. You have energy lost by the vessel and its water. It is lost because the final temperature is lower than its initial temperature. Now determine how much energy the ice gained going from -10 C to 19.9 C including latent heat. Do the same for the energy loss of the iron going from 150 C to 19.9 C. Do you have a balance? If not, you did something wrong.

i already check it. and yes it's wrong.

Since the heat gained by aluminum container, water, and ice is equal to heat lost by iron

is my assumption correct?

Yes, the heat gained by the aluminum container, water, and ice equals the heat lost by iron.

Your answer is off by about 4.5 C. I have not gone through your calculations; I only did my own.

thank you very much sir! i finally got the correct answer. i made a wrong computation on the right hand side of the last equation. God bless!

1. What is latent heat?

Latent heat is the amount of energy required to change the state of a substance without changing its temperature. This energy is used to break or form bonds between molecules, resulting in a change of phase (e.g. solid to liquid or liquid to gas).

2. How is latent heat related to final temperature?

When a substance is undergoing a phase change, the latent heat is absorbed or released. This results in a change in the substance's internal energy, which can affect its final temperature. For example, when ice melts, it absorbs latent heat from the surroundings, causing the final temperature of the water to be lower than the initial temperature of the ice.

3. Is the amount of latent heat the same for all substances?

No, the amount of latent heat required for a phase change depends on the substance and the specific conditions (e.g. pressure, temperature). Each substance has its own unique latent heat value for each phase change.

4. How does latent heat play a role in weather and climate?

Latent heat plays a crucial role in weather and climate by driving the water cycle. When water evaporates from the oceans, it absorbs latent heat from the surface, which is then released when the water vapor condenses into clouds. This process helps regulate the Earth's temperature and influences weather patterns.

5. Can latent heat be harnessed for energy?

Yes, latent heat can be harnessed for energy through processes such as steam turbines and geothermal power. By utilizing the heat released during a phase change, we can generate electricity and heat homes and buildings.