1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Law of cooling differential equation

1. Feb 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a) An object at 200 degrees F is put in a room at 60 degrees F.The temperature of the room decreases at the constant rate of 1 degree every 10 minutes. The body cools to 120 degrees F in 30 minutes. How long will it take for the body to cool to 90 degrees F?

b) Show that the solution of the pertinent initial value problem which models the situation is:
    T(t) = 60 + 140e^(kt) + [(e^(kt) - kt - 1)/(10k)]

c) Set-up an equation from which you can solve for k.

d) Set-up an equation from which the required cooling time can be found.

2. Relevant equations

Newton's Law of Cooling: T'(t) = K(T(t) - T0)

Note: T is in minutes

3. The attempt at a solution

a) This is variable seperable

dT/dt = K(T(t) - T0)

∫dT/(T(t) - T0) = ∫k dt + C

ln (T(t) - T0) = kt + C

(T(t) - T0) = ce^(kt)

T(t) = ce^(kt) + T0

At T(0) = 200, and T0 = 60

200 = ce^(K*0) + 60

c = 140

T(t) = 140e^(kt) + 60

This is where I get stuck. I'm not really sure where to go next. I'm mainly confused by the fact that room temperature is decreasing as well.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2009 #2

Staff: Mentor

Yes, that's the problem. The differential equation you started with, dT/dt = K(T(t) - T0), assumes that the ambient temperature, T0, remains constant.

The function that represents the ambient temperature is Ta = -t/10 + 60. You need to work that into the differential equation instead of T0.
  4. Feb 1, 2009 #3
    Thank you for your insight. I see where I need to go with this problem now.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?