Differential Eqns: Newton's Law of Cooling

In summary: T(0)=T(1)+e^k*T(2) This answer just doesn't seem logical to me, a lot higher than I expected. I can't seem to figure out where I went wrong or if I did? Thank you! :)I'm not sure on the math, but your answer seems logical... If the water started at 4 degrees C and after an hour got to 40, the starting temperature had to be really high (since the temperature of the solid body is decreasing too).But I'm not sure.I double checked for you and the final function that you got definitely matches the two data points they gave you, I think
ChemistryNat

Homework Statement

A hot solid body is immersed into a large body of water
which is a 4 degrees C. After one hour the body's temperature is measured
at 40 degrees C, after 2 hours at 15 degrees. Assuming that Newton's law of
cooling applies and that the water body is mixed constantly and its temperature stays at 4 degrees, what was the temperature of the body initially?

Homework Equations

Newton's Law of Cooling
dT/dt=κ(T-Tm)

The Attempt at a Solution

Tm=4°C
T(1h)=40°C
T(2h)=15°C
T(0h)=?

dT/dt=k(T-Tm)
dT/dt=k(T-4)
separating variables and integrating yields
ln|T-4|= kt+c
T=ce^(kt)+4 ....eq1

T(1)=40 → 40=4+ce^k ...eq 2
T(2)=15 → 15=4+ce^2k ...eq3

So I solved for k using eq2 & eq3
36e^(2k)=11e^k
11/36=e^k
k=ln(11/36)

plugging k back into eq2
c=1296/11

eq 3 becomes :
T=(1296/11)e^(kt)+4

finding the initial temperature
T(0)=121.8°C

This answer just doesn't seem logical to me, a lot higher than I expected. I can't seem to figure out where I went wrong or if I did? Thank you! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure on the math, but your answer seems logical... If the water started at 4 degrees C and after an hour got to 40, the starting temperature had to be really high (since the temperature of the solid body is decreasing too).

But I'm not sure.

I double checked for you and the final function that you got definitely matches the two data points they gave you, I think this is all correct.

If anything that number sounds way lower than I would have guessed actually, so that goes to show you how good intuition is at this kind of thing.

Your result is correct.

Newton's Law of Cooling can be written in the form

T(t)-Tm=(T(0)-Tm)e-kt.

T(t) is the temperature of the body at time t, T(0) is the initial temperature, Tm is the temperature of the surroundings. You are given T(1) and T(2) and need to find T(0).

T(1)-Tm=(T(0)-Tm)e-k
T(2)-Tm=(T(0)-Tm)e-2k

square the first equation and divide by the second one.

ehild

1. What is Newton's Law of Cooling?

Newton's Law of Cooling is a mathematical model that describes the rate of cooling of an object in a surrounding environment. It states that the rate of temperature change of an object is proportional to the difference between its temperature and the ambient temperature.

2. How is Newton's Law of Cooling represented mathematically?

The mathematical representation of Newton's Law of Cooling is dT/dt = -k(T-Ta), where dT/dt is the rate of temperature change, k is the cooling constant, T is the temperature of the object, and Ta is the ambient temperature.

3. What is the significance of the cooling constant in Newton's Law of Cooling?

The cooling constant, k, is a measure of how quickly an object cools down in a given environment. A higher value of k indicates a faster cooling rate, while a lower value indicates a slower cooling rate. It is influenced by factors such as the type of material, surface area, and ambient conditions.

4. How can Newton's Law of Cooling be applied in real-life situations?

Newton's Law of Cooling can be used to predict the cooling behavior of various objects, such as beverages, food, and electronic devices. It is also commonly used in weather forecasting to predict the temperature changes in different regions.

5. What are some limitations of Newton's Law of Cooling?

Newton's Law of Cooling assumes that the cooling rate is constant over time, which may not always be the case in real-life situations. It also does not take into account external factors such as wind or humidity, which can affect the cooling process. Additionally, it is only applicable to objects with a constant temperature and in a well-mixed environment.