Why do two applications of the law of sines give different angles?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Aidyan
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Law Law of sines
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Aidyan
Messages
182
Reaction score
14

Homework Statement



Given is a triangle with sides a=3.1cm, b=5cm, c=4.7cm and opposite angle to side a, α=36°. I must find out for angles β and γ using the law of sines.

Homework Equations



Law of sines.

The Attempt at a Solution


[/B]
I first tried:
sin(γ)}/c=sin(α)/a ⇒ γ≈63.02°
β=180-α-γ=80.98°

However, one could also calculate:
sin(β)}/b=sin(α)/a ⇒ β≈71.45°
γ=180°-α-β=72.55°

Two approaches, that I believed to be equivalent, but which furnish different results. So, I obviously make something wrong. But ... I don't get it... what is it?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have applied the law of sines correctly. The problem is that the triangle you have given is impossible. Try applying the law of cosines to the values you have given.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I draw the triangle on a piece of paper. What is wrong with this drawing?
b4a5af82-bd0a-4617-9e11-1fd10720a15f
upload_2017-12-8_17-46-46.png
 
Attachments
  • upload_2017-12-8_17-46-32.png
    upload_2017-12-8_17-46-32.png
    84.2 KB · Views: 615
  • upload_2017-12-8_17-46-46.png
    upload_2017-12-8_17-46-46.png
    84.2 KB · Views: 527
Try measuring side a. If you look at it, side is is more like 3.0-3.1, not 3.7. This is also what the law of cosines would tell you.

Edit: I see now that I misread your 3.1 as a 3.7. If you accept your values of 36 degrees, 5.0 and 4.7, then a must be 3.011. If you use this value, it all works out.
 
Last edited:
Note that once you have specified b, c, and alpha, this fixes the shape of the triangle. The other side and the other two angles are then determined. You can't make them whatever you want.
 
Ahhh... now I see that.:mad: Of course, I first draw the triangle, then took the measures of all three sides and checked... but obviously that couldn't work that way. Thanks so much!:smile: