1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Law of sines... I don't get it

Tags:
  1. Dec 8, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given is a triangle with sides a=3.1cm, b=5cm, c=4.7cm and opposite angle to side a, α=36°. I must find out for angles β and γ using the law of sines.

2. Relevant equations

Law of sines.

3. The attempt at a solution

I first tried:
    sin(γ)}/c=sin(α)/a ⇒ γ≈63.02°
    β=180-α-γ=80.98°

However, one could also calculate:
    sin(β)}/b=sin(α)/a ⇒ β≈71.45°
    γ=180°-α-β=72.55°

Two approaches, that I believed to be equivalent, but which furnish different results. So, I obviously make something wrong. But ... I don't get it... what is it?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2017 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

I think you have applied the law of sines correctly. The problem is that the triangle you have given is impossible. Try applying the law of cosines to the values you have given.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2017
  4. Dec 8, 2017 #3
    I draw the triangle on a piece of paper. What is wrong with this drawing?[​IMG]

upload_2017-12-8_17-46-46.png

Attached Files:

5. Dec 8, 2017 #4

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Try measuring side a. If you look at it, side is is more like 3.0-3.1, not 3.7. This is also what the law of cosines would tell you.

Edit: I see now that I misread your 3.1 as a 3.7. If you accept your values of 36 degrees, 5.0 and 4.7, then a must be 3.011. If you use this value, it all works out.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  6. Dec 8, 2017 #5

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Note that once you have specified b, c, and alpha, this fixes the shape of the triangle. The other side and the other two angles are then determined. You can't make them whatever you want.

7. Dec 8, 2017 #6
    Ahhh... now I see that.:mad: Of course, I first draw the triangle, then took the measures of all three sides and checked... but obviously that couldn't work that way. Thanks so much!:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted