LC Circtuit finding Q across an element for given time

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with two capacitors and an inductor, with given values for each component. The current through the inductor is at its maximum value at time t=0 and the direction is shown. The conversation also asks what the charge on capacitor C1 is at time t=14.6 ms and the voltage across the inductor at that same time. The equations used to solve for these values are also mentioned. The conversation ends with the person asking for help on the problem.
hanyu

Homework Statement

A circuit is constructed with two capacitors and an inductor as shown. The values for the capacitors are: C1 = 513.0 μF and C2 = 68.0 μF. The inductance is L = 265.0 mH. At time t =0, the current through the inductor has its maximum value IL(0) = 106.0 mA and it has the direction shown.

2) What is Q1(t1), the charge on the capacitor C1 at time t = t1 = 14.6 ms? The sign of Q1 is defined to be the sameas the sign of the potential difference Vab = Va - Vb at time t = t1.

3) What is Vbc(t1)= Vb - Vc, the voltage across the inductor at time t1 = 14.6 ms? Note that this voltage is a signed number.

Homework Equations

w0 = 1/sqrt(LC)
I(t) = -wQmax*sin(wt+phi)
Q(t) = Qmax*cos(wt+phi)

The Attempt at a Solution

can't solve this for a week...

plugging in given... w = 250,
I(0) = I max = .106 = -wQ(1)
so Qmax = 4.24E-4
Also, sin(wt+phi) = 1 @ t=0, so w(0)+phi = pi/2
phi=pi/2.

for t=.0146s,
Q(.0146) = Qmax*cos(wt+phi)...
plugged into get 2.0639E-4, but it's wrong...

As for 3, once i solve for Q in question 2, i can use that in Q/C = Vinductor...

Physics news on Phys.org
The circuit is not shown.

Woops, meant to mention the 3 elements (2 capacitors and the inductor) are just in series so no diagram was needed.

It prob happened since I exited this once as I was typing the question, so forgot to do so second time around D:

and I STILL need help on this

1. What is an LC circuit?

An LC circuit refers to a type of electronic circuit that consists of an inductor (L) and a capacitor (C) connected in parallel or in series. It is commonly used in electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and computers.

2. How does an LC circuit work?

An LC circuit works by storing energy in the form of oscillating electric and magnetic fields between the inductor and capacitor. When an alternating current (AC) is passed through the circuit, the energy is exchanged back and forth between the two components, resulting in a continuous oscillation.

3. What is Q in an LC circuit?

Q, also known as quality factor, is a measure of the efficiency of an LC circuit. It represents the ratio of energy stored to energy dissipated in one period of oscillation. A higher Q value indicates a more efficient circuit with less energy loss.

4. How do you calculate Q in an LC circuit?

Q can be calculated using the formula Q = ωL/R, where ω is the angular frequency, L is the inductance, and R is the resistance. Alternatively, Q can also be calculated by dividing the reactance (XL) of the inductor by the resistance (R) in the circuit.

5. How can you find Q across an element in an LC circuit for a given time?

To find Q across an element in an LC circuit for a given time, you can use the formula Q = Imax√L/C, where Imax is the maximum current in the circuit, L is the inductance, and C is the capacitance. This formula takes into account the maximum current and the energy stored in the inductor and capacitor to determine the Q value at a specific time.