1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LC Circtuit finding Q across an element for given time

1. Nov 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A circuit is constructed with two capacitors and an inductor as shown. The values for the capacitors are: C1 = 513.0 μF and C2 = 68.0 μF. The inductance is L = 265.0 mH. At time t =0, the current through the inductor has its maximum value IL(0) = 106.0 mA and it has the direction shown.

2) What is Q1(t1), the charge on the capacitor C1 at time t = t1 = 14.6 ms? The sign of Q1 is defined to be the sameas the sign of the potential difference Vab = Va - Vb at time t = t1.

3) What is Vbc(t1)= Vb - Vc, the voltage across the inductor at time t1 = 14.6 ms? Note that this voltage is a signed number.

2. Relevant equations

w0 = 1/sqrt(LC)
    I(t) = -wQmax*sin(wt+phi)
    Q(t) = Qmax*cos(wt+phi)

3. The attempt at a solution
    can't solve this for a week...

plugging in given... w = 250,
    I(0) = I max = .106 = -wQ(1)
    so Qmax = 4.24E-4
    Also, sin(wt+phi) = 1 @ t=0, so w(0)+phi = pi/2
    phi=pi/2.

for t=.0146s,
    Q(.0146) = Qmax*cos(wt+phi)...
    plugged in to get 2.0639E-4, but it's wrong...

As for 3, once i solve for Q in question 2, i can use that in Q/C = Vinductor...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2012 #2

lewando

Gold Member

The circuit is not shown.

4. Nov 11, 2012 #3
    Woops, meant to mention the 3 elements (2 capacitors and the inductor) are just in series so no diagram was needed.

It prob happened since I exited this once as I was typing the question, so forgot to do so second time around D:

and I STILL need help on this

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook