(LC Circuit) Finding cap charge after connecting to inductor

In summary: I tried using i = -ωQmax(sin(ωt+∅)but it's telling me that it's not the right answer. I got...I got -7.13*10^-4.
Vanessa Avila

Homework Statement

A capacitor with a capacitance of C = 5.95×10−5 F is charged by connecting it to a 12.0 −V battery. The capacitor is then disconnected from the battery and connected across an inductor with an inductance of L = 1.50 H .

What is the charge on the capacitor after a time interval of 2.30×10−2 s after the connection to the inductor is made?

Homework Equations

q(t)=Qcos(ωt+∅)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have answered a couple questions prior to this question.
I found these:
ω = 106 rad/s
Period of the electrical oscillations
T = 5.94*10^-2 s
Initial charge of the cap
Q = 7.14*10^-4 C
Energy initially stored in the cap
4.28*10^-3 J

For the question where i had to find the charge, I used
q(t)=Qcos(ωt+∅)
and got 7.13*10^-4 which is wrong. I plugged 2.30*10^-2 for time t and the ∅=0.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the argument of the cosine function in radians or degrees? How about your calculator?

TSny said:
Is the argument of the cosine function in radians or degrees? How about your calculator?
My calculator is in degrees. I just changed it to radians. The cos function would be in radians. But i would get a negative number for q?

Can you interpret the negative sign?

TSny said:
Can you interpret the negative sign?
Is it the capacitor discharging? I'm not exactly sure.

When the capacitor was initially charged to 12 V, did both plates of the capacitor initially have a positive charge or did the plates have opposite charge?

TSny said:
When the capacitor was initially charged to 12 V, did both plates of the capacitor initially have a positive charge or did the plates have opposite charge?
both plates had opposite charge

TSny said:
i meant to say the plates had opposite charge* sorry

Yes. So, suppose you consider the plate that is initially positively charged. When the capacitor is attached to the inductor to make an LC circuit, what happens to the charge on this plate. Does it just discharge to zero and remain zero? Or, ...?

TSny said:
The capacitor starts discharging through the inductor but it doesn't just instantly discharge to zero. It discharges as current builds up to its maximum since current is not instantaneous. So if the current doesn't change automatically, the capacitor will start absorbing charge in the opposite polarity ??

TSny said:
Yes. So, suppose you consider the plate that is initially positively charged. When the capacitor is attached to the inductor to make an LC circuit, what happens to the charge on this plate. Does it just discharge to zero and remain zero? Or, ...?
I had something like this in my notes but I didn't understand what it was saying. I'm just tryng to make sense out of it and I don't know if I'm explaining it the right way.

You are right that the polarity of the charge on either plate alternates over and over again. At any time, the plates have equal but opposite charge. The cosine function with Φ = 0 describes the charge on the plate that was initially positively charged. So, when the cosine function gives you a negative value at some instant of time, that means the charge on that plate is negative at that time.

Unfortunately, the question is a little ambiguous. It asks for "the charge on the capacitor" at a certain time. Usually, "charge on the capacitor" means the absolute value of the charge on either plate. So, it is not clear if they want you to include the negative sign in your answer.

Likes Vanessa Avila
TSny said:
You are right that the polarity of the charge on either plate alternates over and over again. At any time, the plates have equal but opposite charge. The cosine function with Φ = 0 describes the charge on the plate that was initially positively charged. So, when the cosine function gives you a negative value at some instant of time, that means the charge on that plate is negative at that time.

Unfortunately, the question is a little ambiguous. It asks for "the charge on the capacitor" at a certain time. Usually, "charge on the capacitor" means the absolute value of the charge on either plate. So, it is not clear if they want you to include the negative sign in your answer.
That's why I was thinking the negative wouldn't work. Thanks for clearing that up! Now I have to find the current in the inductor at that time given in part (e)

I tried using i = -ωQmax(sin(ωt+∅)
but it's telling me that it's not the right answer. I got -4.896*10^-9

The 10-9 part of your answer does not look correct.

TSny said:
The 10-9 part of your answer does not look correct.
I recalculated and got -0.0739A but it's still wrong

Hmm. I think the 4.896 part of your answer in post #13 is correct. Just the 10-9 is wrong.

TSny said:
Hmm. I think the 4.896 part of your answer in post #13 is correct. Just the 10-9 is wrong.
Sadly i missed the question. For some reason I am getting different numbers everytime i try to calculate. I've been doing homework for hours so i must jst be tired. The final answer is -4.91*10^-2, but i don't know how they got that answer

Vanessa Avila said:
The final answer is -4.91*10^-2, but i don't know how they got that answer
The -4.91 agrees with your -4.896. The slight difference is just "round off" differences. I don't know how you got the 10-9. If you show your calculation with all of the numbers shown, then we might be able to spot the error.

It's not clear how they intend you to interpret the direction of the current (and so be able to assign a sign to it). Did they include a circuit diagram with the current direction defined?

1. What is an LC circuit?

An LC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of an inductor (L) and a capacitor (C) connected together. It is also known as a resonant circuit because it can store and release electrical energy at a specific frequency.

2. How does an LC circuit work?

When an LC circuit is connected to a power source, the capacitor begins to charge and store electrical energy. As the capacitor charges, it creates a magnetic field that induces a voltage in the inductor. This voltage causes the inductor to build up an electrical current, which in turn, creates a magnetic field that opposes the charging current. As a result, the capacitor stops charging and starts discharging, releasing the stored energy. This cycle continues until the energy in the circuit is dissipated.

3. What is the significance of finding the cap charge after connecting to an inductor?

Knowing the cap charge after connecting to an inductor is important because it helps determine the resonant frequency of the circuit. This frequency is essential for designing and analyzing various electronic devices, such as filters, amplifiers, and oscillators.

4. How do you calculate the cap charge in an LC circuit after connecting to an inductor?

The cap charge in an LC circuit after connecting to an inductor can be calculated using the formula Q = CV, where Q is the charge, C is the capacitance, and V is the voltage across the capacitor. The voltage can be obtained by using the formula V = L di/dt, where L is the inductance and di/dt is the rate of change of current in the circuit.

5. What factors can affect the cap charge in an LC circuit?

The cap charge in an LC circuit can be affected by several factors, including the capacitance and inductance values, the initial charge on the capacitor, and the frequency of the power source. Additionally, any resistance in the circuit can also affect the cap charge by dissipating energy and reducing the amplitude of the oscillations.