1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LCD cell thickness - why is this restricted?

1. Jun 7, 2013 #1
    Hi,

I have read loads on LCD operation and in particular NT-LCD and understand the twisting of the light by the LC. Everywhere i read it states that "the thickness of the cell is crucial for correct operation" but does not say why!

Why is this? Is it to do with the pitch of the LC helix? Or that the order in the LC is lost at a certain seperation from the grooved glass?

thanks

matt

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2013 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

It's been a long time since I worked with LC displays, but I would think that it does have to do with the pitch of the LC material. You only want a 90 degree twist from front to back glass with no field applied... (well, that depends on which LC material you are using...)

What is the best online technical reference you have found so far for LC physics?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook