Learn How to Plot Vector and Stream Plots in Mathematica

In summary, A vector plot in Mathematica is a visual representation of vector fields, created using the VectorPlot function. To create a vector plot, the VectorPlot function is used to specify the vector field and customize the appearance of the plot. A stream plot in Mathematica is a type of plot that shows the flow of a fluid or vector field, created using the StreamPlot function. To create a stream plot, the StreamPlot function is used to specify the vector field and customize the appearance of the plot. Both vector and stream plots can be combined using the Show function in Mathematica, allowing for a visualization of both direction and intensity of a vector field on the same plot with customizable appearance.
Dustinsfl
$$
\vec{E} = -E\cos\theta\left(1 + \frac{2a^3}{r^3}\right)\hat{e_r} + E\sin\theta\left(1 - \frac{a^3}{r^3}\right)\hat{e_{\theta}}.
$$

How can I plot this in Mathematica?

Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
$$
\vec{E} = -E\cos\theta\left(1 + \frac{2a^3}{r^3}\right)\hat{e_r} + E\sin\theta\left(1 - \frac{a^3}{r^3}\right)\hat{e_{\theta}}.
$$

How can I plot this in Mathematica?

Would this be the E-field for a = 1.35 and E = 1.66?View attachment 431

Attachments

• hw6plot1d.jpg
    hw6plot1d.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 48

Related to Learn How to Plot Vector and Stream Plots in Mathematica

What is a vector plot in Mathematica?

A vector plot in Mathematica is a visual representation of vector fields, which are mathematical objects that associate a vector to every point in a space. In Mathematica, a vector plot is created by using the VectorPlot function, which takes in a vector field and plots arrows at each point to represent the magnitude and direction of the vector at that point.

How do I create a vector plot in Mathematica?

To create a vector plot in Mathematica, you can use the VectorPlot function and specify the vector field you want to plot. You can also customize the appearance of the plot by adjusting parameters such as the plot range, arrow length, and color scheme. It is also possible to plot multiple vector fields on the same plot using the Show function.

What is a stream plot in Mathematica?

A stream plot in Mathematica is a type of plot that shows the flow of a fluid or a vector field. It is created using the StreamPlot function, which takes in a vector field and plots streamlines that show the direction and intensity of the flow at each point. Stream plots are useful for visualizing fluid dynamics, electric and magnetic fields, and other vector fields.

How do I create a stream plot in Mathematica?

To create a stream plot in Mathematica, you can use the StreamPlot function and specify the vector field you want to plot. You can also customize the appearance of the plot by adjusting parameters such as the plot range, stream density, and color scheme. Similar to vector plots, you can also plot multiple vector fields on the same plot using the Show function.

Can I combine vector and stream plots in Mathematica?

Yes, it is possible to combine vector and stream plots in Mathematica using the Show function. This allows you to visualize both the direction and intensity of a vector field using arrows and streamlines on the same plot. You can also customize the appearance of the plot by adjusting parameters such as the arrow and streamline color and size.