Learn Japanese - where to begin?

• Thread starter kasse
  • Start date
In summary, Kasse suggests using the online tool Anki to learn Japanese and also recommends immersing oneself in the language by living in a country where it is spoken and interacting with native speakers. They also suggest purchasing a Japanese course with audio tapes and then visiting Japan to improve language skills.
kasse
I want to learn Japanese, but where should I begin? Are there any good free online websites?

Physics news on Phys.org
First learn how to use this if you didn't know about it already:

http://ichi2.net/anki/

As for the real question, I can't help you :redface:

Kasse: So you want to learn Japanese. I have learned more than six languages, and here's how: I lived in those countries where it was spoken and studied and worked hard on learning in each one of them. Every language has a "music" or cadence you cannot get from any book. You must interact with native speakers to acquire it. Best advice from me: buy a Japanese course with audio tapes (Audio Fourm, for example), study the entire course, then GO TO JAPAN. You will be speaking Japanese in no time at all!

watch this:

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Learn Japanese - where to begin?

1. What are the basics of Japanese that I should know before starting to learn?

Before beginning to learn Japanese, it is important to have a basic understanding of the Japanese writing system. This includes the three main writing systems: hiragana, katakana, and kanji. Hiragana and katakana are phonetic alphabets, while kanji uses characters borrowed from Chinese. It is also helpful to have a grasp of basic Japanese grammar, such as sentence structure and verb conjugation.

2. Where can I find resources to learn Japanese?

There are many resources available for learning Japanese, both online and in-person. Some popular options include online language learning platforms like Duolingo or Babbel, language exchange programs, and in-person classes at a local community college or language school. It is important to find a resource that fits your learning style and budget.

3. How much time should I dedicate to learning Japanese?

The amount of time needed to learn Japanese varies for each individual, as it depends on factors like prior language learning experience and dedication. However, it is recommended to dedicate at least 30 minutes to an hour each day to studying and practicing Japanese to see progress. Consistency is key when learning a language.

4. Are there any cultural aspects I should be aware of while learning Japanese?

Yes, it is important to understand that language and culture are deeply intertwined. When learning Japanese, it is beneficial to also learn about Japanese customs, traditions, and societal norms. This will not only enhance your understanding and appreciation of the language, but also help you navigate interactions with Japanese speakers in a respectful manner.

5. How can I practice and improve my Japanese skills?

One of the best ways to practice and improve your Japanese skills is through immersion. This could include watching Japanese movies or TV shows, listening to Japanese music or podcasts, or even traveling to Japan. It is also helpful to find a language partner or join a language exchange group to practice speaking and listening with native Japanese speakers. Additionally, regularly practicing writing and reading in Japanese will also greatly improve your skills.