Learning curve of EM? (Not homework)

In summary, the speaker is having trouble with the basics of Newton's laws and forces in their first year physics course, but believes that with hard work it can be overcome. They also express concern about the upcoming electromagnetism material, as it seems unfamiliar and may require good calculus skills and a thorough understanding of concepts. They also mention that EM is an important and essential part of physics, and can be challenging to learn. Another person agrees and adds that EM is mostly a thought process and harder to visualize compared to other areas of physics, and clarifies that their introductory course is not calculus-based.
martinlematre
I'm taking a first year physics course and have been having a little trouble with the basics of Newtons laws and forces and whatnot, though nothing that can't be fixed with a bit more hard work.

I'm looking ahead now and seeing a lot of EM material, and after kind of taking a brief look at the homework, contents and whatnot I must say it seems quite unfamiliar.

Do you find first year EM with no calculus to be a lot harder than the rest of first year content? I am just wondering if I'm going to have some trouble with it.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is EM?

I'm guessing electromagnetism.
Personally I think it is one of the trickiest parts of the curriculum, because it doesn't only require good calculus skills but also a thorough understanding of the concepts and thought; more, in my opinion, than many other subjects. However it is one of the most important parts of physics, and I dare even say the most important one. Learning it and learning it well will be rewarding and very useful for any physicist (in fact everyone should probably have a basic understanding of it).

I would agree with CompuChip. In much of physics, you can see the physics in action, i.e. masses falling, balls interacting, the effects of light, and etc. In EM you don't see much. It is a thought process and more difficult to visualize.

Our intro is not calculus based

1. What is the learning curve of EM?

The learning curve of EM (expectation-maximization) is a graphical representation of the rate at which a person or group of people learn a new skill or concept over time. It shows the relationship between the amount of practice or experience and the level of mastery achieved.

2. How is the learning curve of EM calculated?

The learning curve of EM is calculated by plotting the performance (accuracy or proficiency) on the vertical axis and the number of trials or time on the horizontal axis. The data is then analyzed to determine the rate at which the performance improves over time.

3. What factors can influence the learning curve of EM?

The learning curve of EM can be influenced by various factors such as the complexity of the task, the individual's prior knowledge and experience, the amount and quality of feedback, and the individual's motivation and learning style.

4. How can the learning curve of EM be used in education or training?

The learning curve of EM can be used in education or training to understand how individuals or groups learn and to design effective learning strategies. It can also help identify areas where learners may struggle and require additional support or practice.

5. Can the learning curve of EM be applied to different types of skills or knowledge?

Yes, the learning curve of EM can be applied to various types of skills or knowledge, such as motor skills, language learning, or problem-solving. It provides a general framework for understanding the learning process, regardless of the specific content or context.