Learning Sources: Internet or Books?

• Studying
  • Thread starter courtrigrad
  • Start date
FredGarvin
Science Advisor
If you're in school, then your school has a set of recommended/required texts. Presumably, the instructor or some committee has carefully selected the texts that are appropriate to be used for a particular class.
Being the eternal pessimist, I had a good laugh at that comment (only in the context of my schooling and profs.).

verty
Homework Helper
Even though I read books, I do so near the computer so I can research when ideas are introduced or such. Or if I read something which seems implausible, I look for another explanation online.

Online public forums less "bias" than books.... How you are able to quantify something like that is beyond me.
Admittedly there doesn't seem to be a good way to quantify it because they are so different. Different people are present, books are typically a monolog, forums a 'multilog'. It is probably not legitimate to compare them out of context if there is no context they share. I therefore accept that they should not be compared.

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Even though I read books, I do so near the computer so I can research when ideas are introduced or such. Or if I read something which seems implausible, I look for another explanation online.

Admittedly there doesn't seem to be a good way to quantify it because they are so different. Different people are present, books are typically a monolog, forums a 'multilog'. It is probably not legitimate to compare them out of context if there is no context they share. I therefore accept that they should not be compared.
Yeah, having crackpots lead the way for your learning is much better than a monologue by an educated person.

Personally, I rather be slightly misled by an educated person than a crackpot. Why? Because the direction the crackpot is leading into is already way off target, nevermind slightly.

verty
Homework Helper
No Jason, it helps my understanding to hear opposing views.

George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Samuel T. Cogley all the way!

aah, still cant decide what to use. I will probably use textbooks, but it seems difficult to get them.