Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lecture on magnetron and klystron

1. May 4, 2009 #1

Lisa!

Gold Member

Well I'm supposed to give a lecture on magnetron and klystron, but honestly I've not found enough usefulsources by googling. Do you know about any good reference?

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2009 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Re: Accelerators

How much in detail do you want the info? I'm guessing you already found the "pedestrian" description of a klystron from, say, the http://www.lbl.gov/MicroWorlds/ALSTool/ALS_Components/RFSystem/" [Broken].

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. May 4, 2009 #3

Here is a link to the SLAC (Stanford Linear Accelerator Center) klystron development, and also included are links to other klystron history. One error. Only electron accelerators use klystrons. The Tevatron and other proton accelerators use very large vacuum tube pentodes.
    http://www-group.slac.stanford.edu/kly/about.html

5. May 11, 2009 #4

Lisa!

Gold Member

Thank you very much guys!:smile: The links were very useful. I just don't know why there's not enough source to get information for magnetron!:bugeyes:

6. May 11, 2009 #5

Magnetrons are oscillators, not amplifiers. For this reason they are not useful on multi-tube machines, because it is very difficult to synchronize them, but they have been phase-locked. They are useful on one-tube electron accelerators such as medical linear accelerators. I believe the Varian medical linacs are powered by a magnetron. I did see one mothballed multi-magnetron linac (in 1966), in Building 20 at MIT. I think it was about 18 MeV.

7. May 17, 2009 #6

Lisa!

Gold Member

Thank you very much, Bob ! I really appreciate it:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook