1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Legendre differential equation and reduction of order

1. Dec 7, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Question is to find a general solution, using reduction of order to:

(1-x^2)y" - 2xy' +2y = 0

(Legendre's differential equation for n=1)

Information is given that the Legendre polynomials for the relevant n are solutions, and for n=1 this means 'x' is a solution.

2. Relevant equations

See above.

3. The attempt at a solution

'x' is one solution, I need another to form the general solution. I tried solving the characteristic equation in terms of x, as shown at this link. http://www.bravus.com/Legendre.jpg [Broken]

I've included all the information from the question, any guidance in the right direction would be very welcome.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2011 #2
    You just need one solution to reduce the order so let y_1=x and y=y_1 v in your equation written as:

[tex]y''+py'+qy=0[/tex]

do all that substituting and letting v'=w you should get:

[tex]y_1 w'+(2y_1^'+p y_1)w=0[/tex]

which you can solve via an integrating factor.

4. Dec 7, 2011 #3
    That makes a lot of sense. Just working through it now, but I think it was realising I *had* reduced the order and had a first order ODE and then solving with the integrating factor was the point I was missing.

Thanks very much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook