1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Leibniz Formula/Fundamental Theorem of Calculus

1. Jan 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem is attached as a picture.

2. Relevant equations

I believe the theories relevant to the equation are the Leibniz formula and the first or second fundamental theorem of calculus, I have two books and one lists the first theorem as the second and vice-versa. The theorem containing the derivative of the integral is the one I am looking at. The chain rule is also involved as well.

3. The attempt at a solution

I am stuck, my teacher explained how to do it today in class. I tried to integrate the function by reducing the power of sin(t^2) to (1/2)(1-cos2t) then differentiating that. I have no idea if that gives me correct answer as my teacher explained it an entirely different way using chain rule and fundamental theorem of calculus. When I check my answer and the answer I get from WolframAlpha by plugging in 1 after everything. They are very close but they are not the same, both answers were done in exact form, so no rounding issues.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2012 #2
  4. Jan 12, 2012 #3
    Ah you are correct, thank you for pointing that out. I came across that site and others like it but the notation was a bit confusing for me. As I was typing this response I came across the explanation he was giving me today.

http://www2.bc.cc.ca.us/resperic/Math6A/Lectures/ch5/3/FundamentalTheorem.htm

Towards the bottom of the page under the Leibniz Integral Rule. I think if I study this a bit I may be able to come up with the correct answer.

Thank you for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook