Application of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus (cosmological red-shift)

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between equations 4.18 and 4.20, with the latter being an application of the fundamental theorem of calculus. The attempt at a solution involves a Taylor expansion of b(t) and the use of the derivative of F(x) to simplify the limits and solve for the desired equation.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

cosmoredshift.png

[/B]
I am stuck on the section of my lecture notes attached, where it says that equation 4.20 follows from 4.18 via an application of the fundamental theorem of calculus

Homework Equations

FoC:

if ## f## is cts on ##[a,b]## then the function :

##F(x)=\int\limits^{x}_{c} f(t) dt ##

has a derivaitve at every point in ##[a,b]## and

##\frac{dF}{dx}=\frac{d}{dx} \int\limits^{x}_{a} f(t) dt=f(x) ##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I can't see the link since 4.18 says that:

Let me call ## \int dt \frac{1}{a(t)} = b(t) ##, 4.18 says that ##b(t_2)-b(t_1)=r_1 ## whilst 4.20 is looking at something completely different : ## b(t_2 + \Delta t_2)-b(t_1+\Delta t_1) ##(and so rather than an application of the FoC I thought it was expansion of ##b(t)## assuming ##\Delta t_2 ## is small)

So it looks like we have used 4.18 s.t the RHS can be set to zero if there is some property from the FoC that allows to do some sort of split on the limits, a corollary following from the FoC or something that I'm not seeing?

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• cosmoredshift.png
    cosmoredshift.png
    8 KB · Views: 841
Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 221325
[/B]
I am stuck on the section of my lecture notes attached, where it says that equation 4.20 follows from 4.18 via an application of the fundamental theorem of calculus

Homework Equations

FoC:

if ## f## is cts on ##[a,b]## then the function :

##F(x)=\int\limits^{x}_{c} f(t) dt ##

has a derivaitve at every point in ##[a,b]## and

##\frac{dF}{dx}=\frac{d}{dx} \int\limits^{x}_{a} f(t) dt=f(x) ##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I can't see the link since 4.18 says that:

Let me call ## \int dt \frac{1}{a(t)} = b(t) ##, 4.18 says that ##b(t_2)-b(t_1)=r_1 ## whilst 4.20 is looking at something completely different : ## b(t_2 + \Delta t_2)-b(t_1+\Delta t_1) ##(and so rather than an application of the FoC I thought it was expansion of ##b(t)## assuming ##\Delta t_2 ## is small)
Exactly. Just do a Taylor expansion, for example
## b(t_2 + \Delta t_2) \approx b(t_2) + \Delta t_2 \frac{db}{dt}(t_2) ##

The second term is simply ## \Delta t_2 ~ \frac{1}{a(t_2)} ##.

1. What is the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus is a mathematical principle that relates the concept of integration to differentiation. It states that the definite integral of a function can be evaluated by finding the antiderivative of the function and evaluating it at the upper and lower limits of integration.

2. How is the fundamental theorem of calculus applied to cosmological red-shift?

In the context of cosmological red-shift, the fundamental theorem of calculus is used to calculate the change in wavelength of light from distant galaxies. This change in wavelength is directly related to the expansion of the universe and can provide information about the rate of expansion.

3. How does cosmological red-shift relate to the expanding universe?

Cosmological red-shift is a phenomenon that occurs when light from distant galaxies is stretched to longer wavelengths as it travels through the expanding universe. This is due to the fact that as the universe expands, the space between galaxies also expands, causing the wavelength of light to increase.

4. What is the significance of cosmological red-shift in the study of the universe?

Cosmological red-shift is important because it provides evidence for the expansion of the universe and has helped scientists develop the theory of the Big Bang. It also allows scientists to measure the rate of expansion and gain insight into the evolution of the universe.

5. Can the fundamental theorem of calculus be applied to other areas of science?

Yes, the fundamental theorem of calculus is a fundamental concept in mathematics and is used in many areas of science, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is especially useful in studying rates of change and can be applied to various real-world problems.