1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration using the fundamental theorem of calculus

1. Nov 7, 2013 #1
    Hello PF.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find a function g such that

[itex]\int_0^{x^2} \ tg(t) \, \mathrm{d}t = x^2+x[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

From the fundamental theorem of calculus:

[itex]f(x) = \frac{d}{dx}\int_a^x \ f(t) \, \mathrm{d}t[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

After taking the derivative of both sides of the equation:

[itex]\frac{d}{dx}\int_0^{x^2} \ tg(t) \, \mathrm{d}t = 2x+1[/itex]

Thus, from the fundamental theorem and chain rule,

[itex](2x)(x^2)g(x^2) = 2x+1[/itex]

[itex]2x^3g(x^2) = 2x+1[/itex]

[itex]g(x^2) = \frac{1}{x^2} + \frac{1}{2x^3}[/itex]

However, I know that this answer is wrong because the definite integral of this function (when substituted into the original equation) is not equal to x + x^2. I'm having difficulty identifying my error. Could someone please point me in the right direction? :)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2013 #2
    What did you put back into your integral for checking. You solved only down to g(##x^2##). Did you put that back in or g(x)? I got the right answer when I put in g(x).

4. Nov 7, 2013 #3
    I put g(x^2) back into the integral. How would I simplify g(x^2) to get g(x)? Would I square every expression for x in the equation (i.e x^2 and x^3)?

5. Nov 7, 2013 #4
    To break it into two steps: Let u = ##x^2## and figure out what g(u) is. Then since it doesn't matter what symbol you use the function g(u) is the same as g(x).

More directly, just stick an x in everywhere you have an ##x^2##.

6. Nov 7, 2013 #5
    Aha! Then U = sqr(x) and that can be substituted in the equation. Thanks brmath!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted