Integration using the fundamental theorem of calculus

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a function g that satisfies the given integral equation. The solution involves using the fundamental theorem of calculus and chain rule to derive an expression for g(x^2). However, to find g(x), it is necessary to substitute x in place of x^2 in the derived expression.
trulyfalse
Hello PF.

Homework Statement

Find a function g such that

[itex]\int_0^{x^2} \ tg(t) \, \mathrm{d}t = x^2+x[/itex]

Homework Equations

From the fundamental theorem of calculus:

[itex]f(x) = \frac{d}{dx}\int_a^x \ f(t) \, \mathrm{d}t[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

After taking the derivative of both sides of the equation:

[itex]\frac{d}{dx}\int_0^{x^2} \ tg(t) \, \mathrm{d}t = 2x+1[/itex]

Thus, from the fundamental theorem and chain rule,

[itex](2x)(x^2)g(x^2) = 2x+1[/itex]

[itex]2x^3g(x^2) = 2x+1[/itex]

[itex]g(x^2) = \frac{1}{x^2} + \frac{1}{2x^3}[/itex]

However, I know that this answer is wrong because the definite integral of this function (when substituted into the original equation) is not equal to x + x^2. I'm having difficulty identifying my error. Could someone please point me in the right direction? :)

Physics news on Phys.org
What did you put back into your integral for checking. You solved only down to g(##x^2##). Did you put that back in or g(x)? I got the right answer when I put in g(x).

I put g(x^2) back into the integral. How would I simplify g(x^2) to get g(x)? Would I square every expression for x in the equation (i.e x^2 and x^3)?

trulyfalse said:
I put g(x^2) back into the integral. How would I simplify g(x^2) to get g(x)? Would I square every expression for x in the equation (i.e x^2 and x^3)?

To break it into two steps: Let u = ##x^2## and figure out what g(u) is. Then since it doesn't matter what symbol you use the function g(u) is the same as g(x).

More directly, just stick an x in everywhere you have an ##x^2##.

Aha! Then U = sqr(x) and that can be substituted in the equation. Thanks brmath!

1. What is the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus is a mathematical concept that connects the two branches of calculus - differential calculus and integral calculus. It states that the integral of a function can be evaluated by finding its antiderivative and evaluating it at the limits of integration.

2. How is the fundamental theorem of calculus used in integration?

The fundamental theorem of calculus is used to simplify the process of integration by allowing us to evaluate integrals using antiderivatives. It also provides a way to calculate the area under a curve by finding the antiderivative of the function and evaluating it at the limits of integration.

3. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, while an indefinite integral does not. A definite integral gives a numerical value, while an indefinite integral gives a function that is the antiderivative of the original function.

4. How do you solve integrals using the fundamental theorem of calculus?

To solve an integral using the fundamental theorem of calculus, first find the antiderivative of the given function. Then, plug in the limits of integration and subtract the value at the lower limit from the value at the upper limit. This will give the numerical value of the definite integral.

5. What are some real-world applications of integration using the fundamental theorem of calculus?

Integration using the fundamental theorem of calculus has many real-world applications, such as calculating the area under a curve to find the distance traveled by an object, finding the volume of irregular shapes in engineering and architecture, and determining the rate of change of a variable in physics and economics.