Leibniz rule for double integrals

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Leibniz rule to differentiate the expected value function with respect to the parameter β. The function involves a double integral with joint pdf of two random variables and parameters b, K, and c_q. The state-space of the random variables is defined and the question arises about the upper limits being infinite. The attached document (not specified) shows regions of the state-space and the question is raised about the limits being bounded rather than infinite.
phoenix2014
Hello, I would like to differentiate the following expected value function with respect to parameter $$\beta$$: $$F(\xi_1,\xi_2) =\int_{(1-\beta)c_q}^{bK+(1-\beta)c_q}\int_{(1-\beta)c_q}^{bK+(1-\beta)c_q}\frac{\xi_1+\xi_2-2bK}{2(1-\beta)^2} g(\xi_1,\xi_2)d\xi_1 d\xi_2$$ $$g(\xi_1,\xi_2)$$ is the joint pdf of the two random variables. $$b,K,c_q,\beta$$ are parameters in the problem. I tried using the hints given in a few other sites (http://math.stackexchange.com/quest...le-integral-with-respect-to-upper-limits?rq=1) using Leibniz rule (and extending it to double integrals) but the correct answer eludes me. Additional information (if relevant): the state-space of the two random variables are as follows: $$\xi_1+\xi_2 \geq 2bK+2(1-\beta)c_q, -2bK\leq\xi_1-\xi_2\leq2bK. $$ I have uploaded the entire function from the paper I am referring to, and the regions defined by the random variables as a word document. Please let me know if you need more information. Appreciate any help.

Attachments

• Physics Forum Leibniz rule double integral.docx
    680.7 KB · Views: 420
Physics news on Phys.org
I
The description for the Liebnitz rule is correct. However in your case, both the upper and lower limits depend on β. Therefore you will have four integrals instead of two.

Thank you for the reply. The region defined by the state-space seems to produce improper integrals (like the upper limit of $$\xi_1,\xi_2$$ is infinity). The limits the authors have is only a portion of the region defined. (Please see attached document for region $$\Omega_2$$). Was this by substitution that they get the new limits? Why is not the upper limit infinity? Thank you.

What attached document?

the one that I have attached again below- the word document "Physics Forum Leibniz rule double integral.docx". Let me know if you are unable to access it. Thanks.

Attachments

• Physics Forum Leibniz rule double integral.docx
    680.7 KB · Views: 408
I looked at the document. I didn't see how it relates to you questions concerning infinity.

If you look at regions 6 and 7 they are unbounded and the upper limit of the random variables goes to infinity. However, they have "bounded" limit in their expressions after the Leibniz rule is applied (1-beta)Cq. I was curious why did not have upper limits as infinity. In fact, even region 2 is not bounded but the limits are bounded between (1-beta)Cq and bK+(1-beta)Cq. I was curious how the limits were obtained.

I don't know what this is all about. The graph is epsilon_1 versus epsilon_2. I presume there is further context how this relates to the integrals.

1. What is the Leibniz rule for double integrals?

The Leibniz rule for double integrals is a mathematical formula used to calculate the derivative of a double integral. It states that the derivative of the double integral of a function f(x,y) with respect to a variable t is equal to the double integral of the partial derivatives of f(x,y) with respect to x and y, multiplied by the derivative of t.

2. Why is the Leibniz rule important?

The Leibniz rule is important because it allows us to calculate the derivative of a double integral without having to explicitly integrate the function. This makes it a useful tool for solving problems in various fields of science and engineering.

3. How is the Leibniz rule applied in practice?

In practice, the Leibniz rule is applied by first identifying the function f(x,y) and the variable t that the derivative is being taken with respect to. Then, the partial derivatives of f(x,y) with respect to x and y are calculated and multiplied by the derivative of t. Finally, the resulting expression is integrated over the limits of the double integral.

4. Are there any limitations to the Leibniz rule?

Yes, there are some limitations to the Leibniz rule. It can only be applied to functions that are continuous and have continuous partial derivatives. Additionally, the limits of the double integral must be constant with respect to the variable t.

5. Can the Leibniz rule be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the Leibniz rule can be extended to triple and n-fold integrals. The general formula for the derivative of an n-fold integral involves taking the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable and multiplying them by the corresponding derivative. However, the limits of integration must still be constant with respect to the variable of differentiation.