1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lenear algebra theoretical question

1. Feb 27, 2009 #1
    there is a space V=Q^4 over Q (i thing Q means rational)

there is a vector series v with length 6 on V
    does v linearly independant?
    if it is explain is not ,give a counter example ??

Q^4 means we have 4 coordinates in each vector

but v has vectors with 6 coordinates

so i cant put them together

??

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What exactly do you mean by "a vector series v with length 6"? Do you mean 6 vectors in V or one or more vectors with 6 components? vectors with other than 4 components are not even in Q^4.

You appear to mean 6 vectors in V. Do you mean to ask if a set of 6 vectors can be linearly independent? You know, I hope, that Q^4 has dimension 4 as a vector space over Q. Look at av1+ bv2+ cv3+ dv4+ ev4+ fv5+ gv6= 0. Rewriting v1, v2, v3, v4, v5, and v6 in terms of a basis for V and combine the same basis vectors. That will give you 4 equations for the 6 numbers a, b, c, d, e, f, g.

If that is true then they are not even vectors in V. I feel sure there are supposed to be 6 vectors, not vectors with 6 coordinates.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook