Length contraction and time dilation from Lorentz S

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of length contraction in special relativity and why Robert Resnick does not use the inverse transformation directly. Length is defined as the distance between two endpoints at the same time in a frame of reference. However, when applying the inverse Lorentz transformation, the resulting point is not the one needed to calculate the length in the unprimed frame. This is because the points determining the length in the unprimed and primed frames are different. The conversation also mentions the difference between a tag and a thread, as well as a reply and an upload.
Michael C Fowler
I'm trying to understand special relativity well enough to explain it to others, ANY others, including myself. I am trying to use Robert Resnick's Introduction to Special Relativity to inform my thinking. In introducing length contraction, he introduces L' as the length measured by an observer in the moving frame and then inserts this result in the Lorentz transformation equation to find L, the length measured by an observer in the stationary frame. (section 2.3 p. 62) Why does he not use the inverse transformation Directly? (Yes, I know: doing so would give length dilation) For time dilation, he does use the inverse transformation directly and gets time dilation, but if he followed the same procedure as he did for length contraction, he would get time contraction.
My instinct is that if the observer in S' measures L' and (delta x)' while the observer in S measures L and (delta x). To go from S' measurements to S measurements, the most direct rout in the Inverse Transformation while to to from S measurements to S' measurements, the most direct route is the Transformation.
I realize that I am missing a major conceptual point here and am grateful in advance for any help you can give me. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
The point is that length is defined for each of the two observers to bring into coincidence the ends of the rod with his ruler simultaneously. Now say observer A (unprimed coordinates) is in the reference frame, where the rod is at rest. The world lines of the ends of the rod in this frame of reference are given by ##X=(x^0,x^1)## and ##Y=(y^0,y^1)## (I set ##c=1## for convenience and consider only one spatial direction defined by the rod). Now let B (primed coordinates) be an observer, which moves with velocity ##v## against A. The Lorentz transform tells you that for him the world lines look like
$$X'=\gamma (x^0-v x^1,x^1-v x^0), \quad Y'=\gamma (y^0-v y^1,y^1-v y^0).$$
Now measuring the length of the rod, he brings the ends of the rod into coincidence with his spatial axis simultaneously, but this doesn't happen at the same time for A but you must have
$$y^{\prime 0}-x^{\prime 0}=0 \; \Rightarrow \gamma [(y^0-x^0)-v(y^1-x^1)] =0 \; \Rightarrow y^0-x^0=v(y^1-x^1).$$
Then you get the length of the rod for B as
$$L'=y^1-x^1 =\gamma [(y^1-x^1)-v(y^0-x^0)]=\gamma (y^1-x^1)(1-v^2)=\frac{1}{\gamma} (y^1-x^1)=\frac{1}{\gamma} L,$$
i.e., for him the rod is shorter by an inverse Lorentz factor ##1/\gamma=\sqrt{1-v^2}## than what A measured in the restframe of the rod.

Michael C Fowler said:
Why does he not use the inverse transformation directly?
The length of an object is defined as the distance between where its two endpoints are at the same time in the frame in which you are measuring the length. Now when one end of the rod is at the origin in the primed frame the other end is at the point (x'=L',t'=0) because that's what it means to say that the length of the rod is L' in the primed frame. However, when you apply the inverse Lorentz transformation to the point (x'=L',t'=0) you do not get something of the form (x=?,t=0) in the unprimed frame; instead you get something with a non-zero value of t. Thus, this point is not what we need to calculate the length in the unprimed frame, namely the location of the far end of the rod in the primed frame at the same time that the near end is at the origin, and the spatial distance between this point and the origin is not the length of the rod in the unprimed frame.

Instead, we are looking for three points here:
1) The origin, with coordinates (x=0,t=0) and (x'=0,t'=0)
2) The point (x=L,t=0) which determines the length of the rod in the unprimed frame
3) The point (x'=L',t'=0) which determines the length of the rod in the primed frame.

#2 and #3 are different points, so you cannot use the Lorentz transformations directly to go from one to the other.

Thank you both for helping me. I would further appreciate each of you letting me know that you have received this note as I don't yet know how to use this site. I don't yet know the difference between a tag and a thread. You get the idea. Thanks again. I will be back for help, honest.

Mike

ps. I also need to learn the difference between a reply and an upload

vanhees71 said:
The point is that length is defined for each of the two observers to bring into coincidence the ends of the rod with his ruler simultaneously. Now say observer A (unprimed coordinates) is in the reference frame, where the rod is at rest. The world lines of the ends of the rod in this frame of reference are given by ##X=(x^0,x^1)## and ##Y=(y^0,y^1)## (I set ##c=1## for convenience and consider only one spatial direction defined by the rod). Now let B (primed coordinates) be an observer, which moves with velocity ##v## against A. The Lorentz transform tells you that for him the world lines look like
Now measuring the length of the rod, he brings the ends of the rod into coincidence with his spatial axis simultaneously, but this doesn't happen at the same time for A but you must have
$$y^{\prime 0}-x^{\prime 0}=0 \; \Rightarrow \gamma [(y^0-x^0)-v(y^1-x^1)] =0 \; \Rightarrow y^0-x^0=v(y^1-x^1).$$
$$L'=y^1-x^1 =\gamma [(y^1-x^1)-v(y^0-x^0)]=\gamma (y^1-x^1)(1-v^2)=\frac{1}{\gamma} (y^1-x^1)=\frac{1}{\gamma} L,$$
i.e., for him the rod is shorter by an inverse Lorentz factor ##1/\gamma=\sqrt{1-v^2}## than what A measured in the restframe of the rod.

vanhees71 said:

Thank you both for helping me. I would further appreciate each of you letting me know that you have received this note as I don't yet know how to use this site. I don't yet know the difference between a tag and a thread. You get the idea. Thanks again. I will be back for help, honest.

Mike

Nugatory said:
The length of an object is defined as the distance between where its two endpoints are at the same time in the frame in which you are measuring the length. Now when one end of the rod is at the origin in the primed frame the other end is at the point (x'=L',t'=0) because that's what it means to say that the length of the rod is L' in the primed frame. However, when you apply the inverse Lorentz transformation to the point (x'=L',t'=0) you do not get something of the form (x=?,t=0) in the unprimed frame; instead you get something with a non-zero value of t. Thus, this point is not what we need to calculate the length in the unprimed frame, namely the location of the far end of the rod in the primed frame at the same time that the near end is at the origin, and the spatial distance between this point and the origin is not the length of the rod in the unprimed frame.

Instead, we are looking for three points here:
1) The origin, with coordinates (x=0,t=0) and (x'=0,t'=0)
2) The point (x=L,t=0) which determines the length of the rod in the unprimed frame
3) The point (x'=L',t'=0) which determines the length of the rod in the primed frame.

#2 and #3 are different points, so you cannot use the Lorentz transformations directly to go from one to the other.

Mike

1. What is length contraction?

Length contraction is a phenomenon described by the theory of special relativity, which states that an object's length will appear shorter when observed from a different frame of reference that is moving at a high velocity relative to the object.

2. How does length contraction occur?

Length contraction occurs due to the fact that the speed of light is constant in all frames of reference. As an object moves at high speeds, its length in the direction of motion appears to decrease because distances must be shortened to maintain the constant speed of light.

3. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is another effect of special relativity, which states that time will appear to pass slower for an object in motion relative to an observer. This means that an object's internal clock will run slower as its velocity increases.

4. How is time dilation measured?

Time dilation can be measured through experiments, such as the famous "twin paradox" where one twin stays on Earth while the other travels at high speeds in space. The twin in motion will experience less time passing than the twin on Earth, resulting in a difference in their ages when they are reunited.

5. Can length contraction and time dilation be observed in everyday life?

While the effects of length contraction and time dilation are only noticeable at speeds close to the speed of light, they can still be observed in certain situations, such as in particle accelerators or with high-speed satellites. However, they do not have a significant impact on our daily lives at lower velocities.