Length Contraction & Time Dilation: Proving It

In summary, based on Einstein's two postulates and the Pythagorean theorem, time dilates. From here, it is necessary to analyze an object's length in a moving frame in order to prove that length contracts.
UuserForMe
I have been able to prove to myself that, based on Einstein's two postulates and the the Pythagorean theorem, that time dilates. From here how do I prove that length contracts? (All of this observing a frame that is moving relative to the proper frame at uniform velocity.)

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want a heuristic argument, why don't you try to analyse a particle traveling in a straight line between two points, in both the rest frame of the particle, and another inertial frame (preferably where the two points are at rest)?

Last edited by a moderator:
UuserForMe said:
I have been able to prove to myself that, based on Einstein's two postulates and the the Pythagorean theorem, that time dilates. From here how do I prove that length contracts? (All of this observing a frame that is moving relative to the proper frame at uniform velocity.)
That's actually a bit trickier. What about considering an object of length ##L## moving relative to you. It measures its rest length by firing a light beam from one end to the other and back again and taking the length to be ##L = \Delta t/2c##.

Then, analyse that in your frame (where the object is moving with speed ##v## in the direction of its length) and calculate the length of the object in your frame.

Likes Sagittarius A-Star and vanhees71
UuserForMe said:
From here how do I prove that length contracts?
Try an L-shaped light clock with one arm perpendicular to the relative velocity and the other arm parallel. Consider the length of a “tick” to be the time between when a light pulse is emitted at the intersection between the arms, travels down each arm to the mirror, and returns to the intersection. The length of the perpendicular arm is fixed at L and the length of the parallel arm is adjusted such that the return pulses reach the intersection at the same time. Calculate the length of the parallel arm as a function of v.

• Love
Likes hutchphd
UuserForMe said:
From here how do I prove that length contracts?

The following video visualizes (from time 13:33 on) length contraction and relativity of simultaneity. It is self-explaining, so you can ignore the German explantion in the audio track.

Here's a video showing, on a spacetime diagram,
how length contraction is needed so that there is no time-difference between "ticks" for the transverse and longitudinal light clocks (i.e., the arms of a Michelson-Morley apparatus).

and here a GeoGebra visualization of the situation
https://www.geogebra.org/m/XFXzXGTq
1602315325798.png

But why stop with two clocks?
Here's a circular light-clock (similar to what is shown in the German-language video posted earlier)

1. What is length contraction and time dilation?

Length contraction and time dilation are two concepts in Einstein's theory of relativity that describe how the measurements of length and time change for an object in motion compared to an observer at rest.

2. How is length contraction and time dilation proven?

Length contraction and time dilation have been proven through numerous experiments, including the famous Michelson-Morley experiment and the Hafele-Keating experiment. These experiments have shown that the speed of light is constant and that time and space are relative to the observer's frame of reference.

3. What is the formula for length contraction and time dilation?

The formula for length contraction is L = L0 / γ, where L is the contracted length, L0 is the rest length, and γ is the Lorentz factor. The formula for time dilation is t = t0 / γ, where t is the dilated time, t0 is the proper time, and γ is the Lorentz factor.

4. How does length contraction and time dilation affect space travel?

Length contraction and time dilation play a crucial role in space travel. As an object moves closer to the speed of light, its length contracts and time slows down, making it possible for astronauts to travel longer distances in a shorter amount of time. Without these effects, space travel would not be possible.

5. Are length contraction and time dilation observable in everyday life?

Yes, length contraction and time dilation are observable in everyday life, although the effects are very small at everyday speeds. GPS satellites, for example, have to account for time dilation due to their high speeds in orbit around the Earth. Also, cosmic rays that constantly bombard the Earth's atmosphere are evidence of length contraction as they travel near the speed of light.