Length of the box based on the fringe pattern? I think I'm close.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a neutron in a one-dimensional box with an open end, traveling through a double slit and producing a fringe pattern. The question asks for the length of the box in nanometers. The conversation includes equations for fringe position, wavelength, and fringe spacing, and the individual attempts at solving the problem. It is mentioned that the use of L in the equations may cause confusion, and there may be an error in the equation for wavelength.
spaghed87

Homework Statement

The figure
25.CP42.jpg

shows a neutron in a one-dimensional box. If the right end of the box is opened, the neutron travels out of the box, impinges on a double slit, and is detected 2.0 m behind the double slit. Repeating the experiment over and over produces the fringe pattern shown in the figure.

What is the length (in nm) of the box?

Homework Equations

Variables in equations explained in "The attempt at a solution"

Fringe position:
y(m)=(m*lamda*L)/(d)

lamada(m)=(4*L)/(m)

Fringe spacing:
(delta)y=(lamda*L)/(d)

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I could use the fact that the fringe position is y(m)=(m*lamda*L)/(d) where lamda is the wavelength, m is the number of fringes which should be two (m=2) since the central max. is m=0. Then L is the length behind the double slit. d is the fringe spacing. I then plugged that into the formula for the wavelength of a open-closed tube which is lamada(m)=(4*L)/(m) where m in this case is m=4 since there are 4 modes in the wave. The two fours cancel out giving lamda=L so, L=0.0165nm but that is not right. So, I tried using the fact that the fringe spacing (instead of fringe position) was (delta)y=(lamda*L)/(d) and I got an answer for L=0.033nm. I know I am close... I'm not the best at physics so can someone spot where I am going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. I wouldn't use L in the diffraction fringe equation, since it could get confused with the length of the box L.

2. What numbers are you using for Δy and d in the diffraction fringe equation? And what do you get for λ as a result?

lamada(m)=(4*L)/(m)
Please check that equation. I'm pretty sure the "4" should be a "2".

I would approach this problem by first considering the variables and equations involved. The problem states that the fringe pattern is produced by a neutron traveling out of a one-dimensional box, impinging on a double slit, and being detected 2.0 m behind the double slit. The fringe pattern is described by the equation y(m)=(m*lamda*L)/(d), where y is the fringe position, m is the number of fringes, lamda is the wavelength, L is the length behind the double slit, and d is the fringe spacing.

Next, I would consider the other equation given, lamada(m)=(4*L)/(m), which relates the wavelength to the length of the box. This equation is derived from the open-closed tube experiment, but it may not be applicable in this situation since the box is one-dimensional and the experiment is performed with a neutron, not sound waves.

Based on the given information, it seems that we need to find the wavelength in order to determine the length of the box. We can use the fringe spacing equation, (delta)y=(lamda*L)/(d), to solve for the wavelength. However, we need to know the value of d, which is not given in the problem. This is where the number of modes, m, comes into play. The number of modes is equal to the number of slits in the double slit, which in this case is 2. Therefore, we can substitute m=2 into the equation lamada(m)=(4*L)/(m) to get lamda=2L.

Now, we can plug this value into the fringe spacing equation, (delta)y=(lamda*L)/(d), and solve for d. Once we have the value of d, we can use it in the original fringe position equation, y(m)=(m*lamda*L)/(d), to solve for L, the length of the box.

In summary, the length of the box can be determined by finding the wavelength using the number of modes, and then using that value to solve for the fringe spacing and the length of the box. It is important to consider the variables and equations involved in order to come to a correct solution.

1. What is the significance of the fringe pattern when determining the length of the box?

The fringe pattern is a result of the interference of waves, which can provide precise measurements for the length of the box. It is used in interferometry techniques to determine small changes in distance.

2. How does the fringe pattern help in measuring the length of the box?

The fringe pattern is formed by the interference of two or more waves traveling the same path. By counting the number of fringes, we can determine the change in distance between the two waves and thus calculate the length of the box.

3. Can the fringe pattern be used for all types of boxes?

Yes, the fringe pattern can be used for all types of boxes as long as the box has a reflective surface. The waves used in the interference can be light, sound, or even radio waves.

4. How accurate is the length measurement using the fringe pattern?

The accuracy of the length measurement using the fringe pattern depends on the resolution of the measuring instrument and the number of fringes counted. With advanced technology, the accuracy can be as precise as nanometers.

5. Are there any limitations to using the fringe pattern for measuring the length of the box?

One limitation is that the fringe pattern is affected by external factors such as vibrations or temperature changes, which can alter the distance between the waves. Another limitation is that the box must have a reflective surface for the waves to interfere and form a fringe pattern.