1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Length of wire around a cone

1. Oct 23, 2015 #1
    So here's my problem.
    For the past few years i have built a very large christmas tree in my front yard.
    1200 lights or so.... looks awesome

it is 6m high, a 2m ring at the bottom and is a constant cone shape to the top point.
    To install the lights i start from the bottom and progress to the top, coiling the wire around the cone at a constant spacing
    i know the length of lighting wire (its written of the packet), and would like to know the formula to calculate the spacing of wire around the cone to achieve a theoretical neat finish at the top

Rus

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's some kind of problem with your attachment. It can't be viewed.

4. Oct 28, 2015 #3
    For your 2m diameter base and 6m high conical tree, a good approximation in meters is: spacing = 20/(wire length).

You might want to start at the top since final adjustments at the bottom should be easier.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook