1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lennard-Jones potential .

1. Jan 22, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Just my question from looking at a table of lennard-jones parameters (molecular species and accorded ε), it seems the depth of a Lennard-jones potential is strongly related to a covalent bond? Not hw-related, but course-related anyhow, so any suggestions would be welcome.

2. Relevant equations
    ..well, I am just going to include an equation from the same section I found the table in: u(r) = ε(r*/r)12 - 2ε(r*/r)6

3. The attempt at a solution
    I understand that Lennard-jones potential is contributed by dipole-dipole, induced dipole and London-dispersion attraction.....and seeing how ε/kB increases dramatically from Hydrogen gas (37.0K) to CO (100K) to Carbon Dioxide (189K), I wonder dipole-dipole is the most significant in the potential? Also, the fact that including very polar atoms (for example Fluorine) plays an important role, for CF4 increases ε/kB to 152K? But, I don't understand why organic molecules, such as Methane, C2H4 and C3H8 have much higher ε/kB values?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2015 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

The 1/r6 term originates from dipole-dipole interaction, but when modelling a molecule with a covalent bond (as opposed to, say, the van der Waals interaction in noble gases), then the LJ potential parameters becomes simply a "best fit" to the actual potential energy curve. The depth of the potential is then related to the dissociation energy of the bond.

4. Jan 23, 2015 #3
    Wait, I was sure 1/r12 was repulsion and 1/r6 was a matter of attraction and distance between molecules/atoms, but is it simply matter of bonding, as in dipole-dipole, induced dipole and covalent? Please correct me, but I am new to the subject of 1/r12 and 1/r6, so forgive me if I am wrong.

5. Jan 23, 2015 #4

DrClaude

You are correct. Maybe it is me who is misunderstanding what you are asking about. Are you looking at the Lennard-Jones potential to describe bonding inside a molecule, or for intermolecular interactions?

6. Jan 23, 2015 #5
    I am looking at the LJ potential to describe a covalent bond strength........so, inside a molecule?

7. Jan 23, 2015 #6

DrClaude

Ok, so what I wrote was relevant. The origin of the 1/r6 term in the LJ potential is the long-range dipole-dipole (or better, induced dipole-induced dipole) interaction between two atoms or molecules, also known as the van der Waals interaction. This is completed by a repulsive short-range 1/r12 term that mimics the close-range interaction. One of the advantages of this potential is that it reproduces the long-range potential energy correctly.

Now you can use this potential to represent other situations, such as a covalent bond, but it is only an approximation to the real potential. Another common approximation is the Morse potential. To come back to your question, the parameter ε represents the energy scale of the potential, and so is related to the bond energy. When figuring out LJ parameters, people try to find the values of ε and r* that best reproduce a particular molecular bond, whatever "best" means (can be context specific). So yes, there is a link between ε and the strenght of covalent bonds.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted