1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Let X be a continuous random variable. What value of b minimizes E (|X-b|)? Giv

1. Sep 4, 2011 #1
    Let X be a continuous random variable. What value of b minimizes E(|X-b|)? Giv

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let X be a continuous random variable. What value of b minimizes E(|X-b|)? Give the derivation

3. The attempt at a solution

E(|X - b|)

E[e - [itex]\bar{x}[/itex]] = E(X)

E(|E[e - [itex]\bar{x}[/itex]] - b|)

so ?,.... 0 = E(|E[e - [itex]\bar{x}[/itex]] - E|)

but this is a graduate course, I have a funny feeling that I am supposed to derive this using a the integral of an Expected value.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2011 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

Re: Let X be a continuous random variable. What value of b minimizes E(|X-b|)?

what is e? Its not clear what your steps are attempting

I think the integral would be a good way to approach this

4. Sep 4, 2011 #3

The e is supposed to be an observation in the sample set

5. Sep 4, 2011 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

ok well its still not real clear what you're trying to do

i would try and write the expectation in integral form and consider differentiating, though you may need to be careful with the absolute value
    [tex]f(b) = E[|X-b|] = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dx.p(x).|x-b| [/tex]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  6. Sep 4, 2011 #5

lanedance

Homework Helper

if the absolute value sign gives you trouble, you could consider using b to break up the integral into a sum of two integrals (x<b and x>b), this however will complicate the differentiation as now b appears in the integration limit also

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook