Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Let's buy hybrids and drive like jerks!

1. Mar 24, 2007 #1

ShawnD

Science Advisor

While looking at Nissan's website for some stats on the 350Z, I noticed they now have a hybrid Altima. Since my parents own a 2005 Altima, I decide to look at the specs for this hybrid and see how they compare.

First thing to notice is that hybrid vehicles have excellent low-end torque, meaning they are capable of quick acceleration. Look at the Altima spec chart.
    3.5L Altima = 258lb at 4400RPM
    2.5L Altima Hybrid = 162lb at 2800RPM in addition to 199lb at 1500RPM
    On top of all this low-speed torque, the hybrid gets 50mpg in the city compared to 27mpg. Whoa! Double the gas mileage and have a ridiculous amount of torque? Sign me up!

Alright so what if you don't want to replace gasoline with electric and you just feel like slapping some electric motors on your huge SUV? The Toyota Highlander is for you.
    3.3L Highlander = 222lb at 3600RPM
    3.3L Highlander Hybrid = 212lb at 4400RPM plus 247lb on the front wheels and 96lb at the rear wheels.
    Wow! This thing has 3 sources of power, two of them delivering close to 350lb between 0-1500RPM, and the gasoline boosting on top of that. This thing can probably spin all four tires in third gear!

Who said hybrids had to be slow and ugly? :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2007 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Already they have hybrid SUVs and trucks, yet there are still zero hybrid minivans available on this continent. Why is this? [warning: horrible generalizations ahead] You'd think there'd be fewer green rednecks than green soccer-moms.

4. Mar 24, 2007 #3
    Mini-Van! Mini-Van!
    Oh yeah -- and we will need it to be wheel-chair ramp-modified. Think THAT'S a possibility in the next two years?

As an aside, if you are someone you love is buying a wheel-chair ramped van, do NOT buy the GM version. GM sucks, but as you can see, choices are limited:
    http://www.braunmobility.com/products/consveh/index.asp
    We'll be lucky to get three years out of it; it's had problems from day one (Dec 2005), mostly due to the GM itself, not the ramp (although those things have issues too).

5. Mar 24, 2007 #4

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Why get a hybrid? Get one of these. OK, the top speed is nothing, really, but the torque and acceleration are fantastic!

6. Mar 24, 2007 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:!!) Ooh, pretty car! And, unless you're planning on racing it, a top speed of 100 mph isn't a problem anyway.

7. Mar 24, 2007 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, I don't know about that necessarily, since plenty of soccer moms are driving around SUVs, but I do think the ones more likely to be concerned about the environment would be the ones choosing the minivans rather than SUVs. I agree, that seems like it would be the better market to start with.

8. Mar 24, 2007 #7

turbo

Gold Member

Since it's over $400,000, I'll probably have to sell my 10-year-old Nissan pickup to help pay for it. :rofl:

9. Mar 24, 2007 #8
    Yea the looks don't justify the price. I do concur with Moonbear though, its a very nice looking car.

I wonder how long it will be until the majority of people are driving hybrids... What do you guys think?

I say 10 years.

10. Mar 24, 2007 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, when the article said they only produce 15 a year, I kind of figured the price would be a bit beyond my means.

11. Mar 24, 2007 #10

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I like the idea of the performance hybrid and will definitely consider one for my next car. Honda has been attaching one to their V6 Accord for a few years now.

12. Mar 24, 2007 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm waiting for the ones that come with sound effects like the cars in The Jetsons made. :biggrin:

13. Mar 24, 2007 #12
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2007
  14. Mar 24, 2007 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not until the prices of diesel fuel come down. And, if you have cold enough winters, you still have to plug in the diesel cars to keep the fuel from gelling (they had that problem with school buses this winter when the temperatures dropped too low), so might as well plug it in to charge a battery. I also didn't pay any attention to it until my parents showed up with a diesel vehicle that apparently, only one gas station in this entire town sells diesel fuel, and of course they are the highest priced station right next to the interstate. :rolleyes:

15. Mar 24, 2007 #14
    I hate hate hate hate soccor moms and their minivans. Hate hate hate!!! Sorry, I know that is off topic, I just had some very bad work experiences with them :cry:

But on the topic, I am glad there is an altima hybrid now, as well as some SUV hybrids coming out...it is nice that they are finally coming out that aren't ugly and useless. Once they start getting some hybrids out there that are more appealing I would consider buying one (well when i have money anyway), but right now there are very few that I like. I do not like the styling of most hybrids out there right now at all. The smart car is essentially useless, the civics...ect are just ugly and unless you live in a city there are no import dealers around.

16. Mar 24, 2007 #15

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Unfortunately VW is a company with a lot of quality issues at this time. Jetta's quality is 2/5 stars

Moonbear, is diesel more expensive than gasoline where you live? In Canada, diesel is usually 10 cents per litre cheaper than gasoline. That would be about 38 cents cheaper per US gallon.
    Edmonton gasoline prices - $0.95/L ($3.60 per US gallon)
    Edmonton diesel prices - $0.82/L ($3.10 per US gallon)
    I would buy a diesel if any company actually made them, but I think trucks are the only vehicles that ever come with diesel engines. Over in Europe it's a different story.

17. Mar 24, 2007 #16

radou

Homework Helper

Yup, completely different. :smile:

Btw, VWs are the over-priced.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?