1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Level Curves Graph and Partial Derivatives.

1. Jul 2, 2011 #1
    Delete post.

Delete, please.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Hi nikkihendrix! :redface:

If fy(Q) and fx(P) are negative, then 0 is larger than these two values, right?? So 0 can't be the least.

Furthermore, saying that fx(S) has more compact level curves that fy(Q) means that it's absolute value is larger. That doesn't mean that fx(S) actually is larger...

4. Jul 2, 2011 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The partial derivative indicates the rate of change. For example, a partial derivative of -1 means that I'm going downwards with a rate of 1. A partial derivative of -10 means that I'm going downwards with a rate of 10: this is much faster!
    So I expect the level lines with a partial derivative of -10 to lie much closer together than with a partial derivative of -1.

The same way, I expect the level lines with a partial derivative of 10 to lie much closer together than with a partial derivative of 1.

If the partial derivative is 0, then you neither increase neither decrease in that direction.

So, in our case: in which case of fx(S) and fy(Q) are you going downwards the fastest?

In which case of fx(P) and fy(R) are you going upwards the fastest?

5. Jul 2, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

If you calculate partial derivatives. Which ones is going downward faster: -10 or -1?

6. Jul 2, 2011 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Which one is increasing fastest? +10 or +1? What does that mean for your last two values?

7. Jul 2, 2011 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Indeed!!

When given a situation like in the picture. Try to give explicit values to the partial derivatives. It makes it easier to see what's going on!

8. Jul 2, 2011 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Seems good!

9. Jul 2, 2011 #8

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Very Interesting !!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook