1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Level Curves: Homework, need help!

1. Oct 8, 2005 #1
    I am trying to find and graph the level curve [tex]f(x,y)=\sqrt{x^2-1}[/tex] that passes throught the point [tex](0,1)[/tex], as well as its domain and range.

I am not sure if my reasoning is right, so let me know if I got the wrong idea.

For the graph I have [tex]x = 1[/tex] which is independent of y and is just a vertical line. Is this correct?

Would the domain be [tex](-\infty, -1]\cup[1,\infty)[/tex] or [tex][1,\infty)[/tex] ? Because [tex]\sqrt{x^2-1} = \sqrt{x-1}\sqrt{x+1}[/tex]
    I'm confused.

Range: [tex][0,\infty)[/tex]

any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Update: this a function of two variables

Last edited: Oct 8, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2005 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That sounds correct to me. I just graphed it and it also looks correct, Unless im missing something.

4. Oct 8, 2005 #3

mezarashi

Homework Helper

If we have [tex] y = \sqrt{x^2 - 1}[/tex], then x cannot exist on the real domain for any value: [tex]\mid x \mid \leq 1[/tex]. o_O

5. Oct 8, 2005 #4
    I am looking for the domain, range, and graph of this level curve[tex]f(x,y)=\sqrt{x^2-1}[/tex]

I have the range, but the domain and graph I am unsure of.
    For the graph, I graphed on my paper x=1, you plug in one, z = 0 and x = 1 and y can be anything.
    Domain: I am unsure of but yes [tex]\mid x \mid \leq 1 [/tex]
    But if I plug say x = -1 into [tex]\sqrt{x-1}\sqrt{x+1}[/tex] I am going to get [tex]\sqrt{-2}\sqrt{2}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?