Levon Helm: A Tribute to His Legacy

• Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation touched upon the recent passing of musician Levon Helm and how his songs brought back memories for the speakers. They also discussed the importance of backup musicians and their talent in making a band successful. The conversation also mentioned Levon's role in Bob Dylan's band and how he was a talented drummer, singer, and songwriter.
Jimmy Snyder
He is feeling completely dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LAcP_v-j3I

Physics news on Phys.org
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Levon will be missed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQYj2ltJKe8

Thank you Jimmy and Ivan for not making me find those videos.

Although I had not a clue who's name was associated with those two songs, I will never forget his voice, nor how those two songs made me feel, a long, long, time ago.

(I heard on the radio on the way, that Elton's song was about him.)

Don't know if this is some kind of wiki-joke:
220px-Levon-fra.jpg

Jimmy Snyder said:
He is feeling completely dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LAcP_v-j3I

That brought back vivid memories.

Way back when I started college, I worked as a waitress at a dive place. I usually did the late shift, and we'd close about 10 or 11. I remember wiping all the tables down, vacuuming, etc. after closing, and the owner would *always* play this song on the juke box as he scrubbed the grill. He's sing along, loudly and badly :smile:.

So this song always makes me remember putting chairs up on tables, and being soooo tired.

lisab said:
Way back when I started college, I worked as a waitress at a dive place. I usually did the late shift, and we'd close about 10 or 11. I remember wiping all the tables down, vacuuming, etc. after closing, and the owner would *always* play this song on the juke box as he scrubbed the grill. He's sing along, loudly and badly :smile:.

So this song always makes me remember putting chairs up on tables, and being soooo tired.
Good context. I'll always remember Levon for "The Night They Drove Ole' Dixie Down". Dylan was no dummy when it came to picking a Band.

Dylan's backup band became The Band. Linda Ronstadt's backup band became The Eagles. Sometimes the musicians making you sound good in the studio and on-stage get their "props". I should mention that Don Henley is a very talented drummer/singer/songwriter like Levon. I have the utmost respect for somebody that can pull that off. Playing bass and singing (Sting and Jack Bruce come to mind) is hard for me too. I can play rhythm/lead guitar and sing away just fine - but please don't put a mic in front of me when I am part of the rhythm section.

See the man with the stagefright? This song just came up on my CD rotation. Luckily, I got over that in my teens or I would have starved in college.

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Levon Helm: A Tribute to His Legacy

1. Who was Levon Helm?

Levon Helm was an American musician and actor, best known as the drummer and singer for the influential rock band, The Band. He was also known for his solo work and collaborations with other musicians.

2. What is the legacy of Levon Helm?

Levon Helm's legacy is his impact on the music industry, particularly in the realm of folk and rock music. He was a highly respected musician and his unique drumming style and soulful vocals influenced many other artists. He is also remembered for his contributions to The Band's iconic albums, including their groundbreaking work on "The Basement Tapes" with Bob Dylan.

3. Why is there a tribute to Levon Helm?

A tribute to Levon Helm is a way to honor his legacy and celebrate his life and career. It is also a way for fans and fellow musicians to pay their respects and show their appreciation for his contributions to the music world.

4. When and where is the tribute taking place?

The tribute to Levon Helm took place on October 3, 2012 at the Izod Center in East Rutherford, New Jersey. It was organized by his daughter, Amy Helm, and featured performances by many notable musicians, including Roger Waters, John Mayer, and My Morning Jacket.

5. How can I watch or listen to the tribute?

The tribute to Levon Helm was not broadcast live, but it was recorded and released as a DVD and CD titled "Love for Levon: A Benefit to Save the Barn." It is available for purchase on various online platforms, including Amazon and iTunes. Some performances from the tribute can also be found on YouTube.