Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Levon Helm died today.

1. Apr 19, 2012 #1
    He is feeling completely dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LAcP_v-j3I

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2012 #2

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Apr 19, 2012 #3

turbo

Gold Member

Levon will be missed.

5. Apr 19, 2012 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQYj2ltJKe8

6. Apr 19, 2012 #5

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Thank you Jimmy and Ivan for not making me find those videos.

Although I had not a clue who's name was associated with those two songs, I will never forget his voice, nor how those two songs made me feel, a long, long, time ago.

(I heard on the radio on the way, that Elton's song was about him.)

Don't know if this is some kind of wiki-joke:
    220px-Levon-fra.jpg

7. Apr 19, 2012 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That brought back vivid memories.

Way back when I started college, I worked as a waitress at a dive place. I usually did the late shift, and we'd close about 10 or 11. I remember wiping all the tables down, vacuuming, etc. after closing, and the owner would *always* play this song on the juke box as he scrubbed the grill. He's sing along, loudly and badly :smile:.

So this song always makes me remember putting chairs up on tables, and being soooo tired.

8. Apr 20, 2012 #7

turbo

Gold Member

Good context. I'll always remember Levon for "The Night They Drove Ole' Dixie Down". Dylan was no dummy when it came to picking a Band.

9. Apr 20, 2012 #8

turbo

Gold Member

Dylan's backup band became The Band. Linda Ronstadt's backup band became The Eagles. Sometimes the musicians making you sound good in the studio and on-stage get their "props". I should mention that Don Henley is a very talented drummer/singer/songwriter like Levon. I have the utmost respect for somebody that can pull that off. Playing bass and singing (Sting and Jack Bruce come to mind) is hard for me too. I can play rhythm/lead guitar and sing away just fine - but please don't put a mic in front of me when I am part of the rhythm section.

10. Apr 20, 2012 #9

turbo

Gold Member

See the man with the stagefright? This song just came up on my CD rotation. Luckily, I got over that in my teens or I would have starved in college.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook