Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LH vs Gaussian units in Biot-Savart Law

1. Jan 11, 2016 #1
    I have a question regarding the relationship between the Biot-Savart formula in Gaussian and Lorentz-Heaviside units. In Gaussian, we have a ##\frac{1}{c}## outside the integral, but in LH units we have a ##\frac{1}{4\pi}\frac{1}{c}##. This does not make sense, considering the transformation between Gaussian and LH for B is that ##B_{LH}=\frac{B_G}{\sqrt{4\pi}}##. Where does the extra ##\sqrt{4\pi}## come from? Thanks.

Source

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2016 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

it comes from I.

4. Jan 11, 2016 #3
    If we take ##I=q v##, then using that ##q_{LH}=\sqrt{4\pi} q_G##, we would have that ##I_{LH}=\sqrt{4\pi} I_G##. This seems to brings an extra ##\sqrt{4\pi}## into the numerator, not the denominator, and would therefore remove the factor all together. I don't understand how this resolves the issue. Besides, the transformation on B should be the transformation on B, without also having to transform its subcomponents additionally. Could you please elaborate?

5. Jan 11, 2016 #4

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Check your math. Write the equation in one set of units, and then substitute. The factor is correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook