1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: L'Hopitals rule and application in limits and limits

1. Apr 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/9792/hopitalsruleandlimits.png [Broken]
    Ive added a picture of the question. I know that L'hopitals rule is lim x->a f(x)/g(x) = lim x->a f'(x)/g'(x) but I dont understand how to apply it in this situation >< and the other questions I dont understand how to start off and what to get to. If anyone could please help me with ANY of the questions i would be so grateful!

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    progress so far
    a) I don't know how get it from positive and from the negative side using the rule, but I used values and from below 1/2 and it approaches 0 from the positive and from above 1/2 it approaches 0

b) i) I've shown its an even function using x= 1 and x= -1
    ii) uses stuff from a) so I dont know how to do it. but i assume it does has a limit.. i dont know an explanation though
    iii) wild guess.. limit at -1/2 and 1/2 should be.. 0? but why? (if it does = 0)

c) i) I know how to find the derivative using the product rule but I dont understand why its x > 1/2 and -1/2 < x < 1/2
    ii) similar to a) dont know how to do that
    iii) dont know
    iv) f'(3/4) i subbed in the value to upper derivative from above and i get to log [ (5/4)1/4 / 45/4 ] and im not sure how to go from there
    f'(5/6) = log [ (4/3)1/3 / 34/3 how can i simplify that..?
    and i dont know what the second part of the question means
    v) dont know

d) any easy way of finding f"(x)? or do i have to find the equ using quotient rule and not sure what the explanation should be

e) same with a), not sure how to calculate from infinity from +side and -side.. sub values?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2010 #2
    Your link does not work

4. Apr 27, 2010 #3

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right, the limit will indeed be zero from both sides. To show this explicitly, use the hint they provided.

For [itex]x>\frac{1}{2}[/itex],

[tex]\begin{aligned}\ln\left|x-\frac{1}{2}\right|\ln\left|x+\frac{1}{2}\right| &= \ln\left(x-\frac{1}{2}\right)\ln\left(x+\frac{1}{2}\right) \\ &=\left(\frac{\ln\left(x-\frac{1}{2}\right)}{\frac{1}{x-\frac{1}{2}}}\right)\left(\frac{\ln\left(x-\frac{1}{2}\right)}{x-\frac{1}{2}}\right) \end{aligned}[/tex]

If you simply substitute [itex]x=\frac{1}{2}[/itex] into this expression, you get [itex]\left(\frac{\infty}{\infty}\right)\left(\frac{0}{0}\right)[/itex] and so it is in one of the forms that allows you to use L'Hopitals rule.

But that doesn't show its even...it only shows that [itex]f(1)=f(-1)[/itex]...to show its even for all [itex]x[/itex] (except [itex]x=\pm\frac{1}{2}[/itex]), you need to show that [itex]\ln\left|(-x)-\frac{1}{2}\right|\ln\left|(-x)+\frac{1}{2}\right|=\ln\left|x-\frac{1}{2}\right|\ln\left|x+\frac{1}{2}\right|[/itex]. That should be fairly easy because of the absolute values (use the fact that [itex]|-a|=|a|[/itex]).

In part [itex]a[/itex], you should end up with [itex]\lim_{x\to \frac{1}{2}}f(x)=0[/itex]...using the substitution [itex]u=-x[/itex], you can write this as

[tex]\lim_{(-u)\to \frac{1}{2}}f(-u)=\lim_{u\to -\frac{1}{2}}f(-u)=0[/tex]

If [itex]f(x)[/itex] is even, what does that tell you? (keep in mind, that in this limit, [itex]u[/itex] is essentially a dummy variable and can be replaced by [itex]x[/itex], which should make the result easier to see)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook