1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

L'Hospital of e^(1/x) as limit x-> 0- and 0+

1. Aug 8, 2011 #1
    e^(1/x) as limit x-> 0- and 0+

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    lt e^(1/x) = 0
    x->0-

and

lt e^(1/x) = +( infinity)
    x->0+

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

let y = e^(1/x)
    ln y = (1/x) ln e

lt (ln e)/x
    x->0-

applying L'Hospitals rule = 0

How to procedd with the lt x-> 0+

Kindly help me.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2011 #2

gb7nash

Homework Helper

You're not using l'hopital's rule correctly. To use l'hopital, you need +-inf/inf, or 0/0, neither of which you have. It doesn't look like you're even taking the derivatives? You're using a different technique.

In any case, why are you trying to use l'hopital's rule for this? You can evaluate it directly. For:

[tex]\lim_{x \to 0^{-}}e^{\frac{1}{x}}[/tex]

What is the exponent approaching? What is e raised to this? Do the same thing for the other problem.

4. Aug 8, 2011 #3
    The question was just to prove the limit. So thats why i used L'hospitals rule.

5. Aug 8, 2011 #4

gb7nash

Homework Helper

Using l'hopital's rule is no more legit than evaluating the limit directly. If you want to prove the limit, you need to use the epsilon-delta definition of limits.

6. Aug 8, 2011 #5
    Thanks for the explanation

7. Aug 8, 2011 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I wouldn't say you have to use the delta-epsilon definition. Evaluating the limit is fine, but you just need to justify each step.

While you can use L'Hopital's rule as part of a proof, you can only do so when it's applicable to the particular problem, which it isn't in this case.

8. Aug 9, 2011 #7
    Also, it is L'Hopital's rule not L'Hospital's rule. That way people won't look at you funny when you asked for help on the problem :wink:

9. Aug 9, 2011 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Wolfram Mathworld http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LHospitalsRule.html: [Broken]
    "Note that l'Hospital's name is commonly seen spelled both "l'Hospital" (e.g., Maurer 1981, p. 426; Arfken 1985, p. 310) and "l'Hôpital" (e.g., Maurer 1981, p. 426; Gray 1997, p. 529), the two being equivalent in French spelling."

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  10. Aug 9, 2011 #9

gb7nash

Homework Helper

It depends how technical you want to be. I can eyeball something like:

[tex]\lim_{x \to 0} x^2[/tex]

and tell you that the limit is 0, or I can simply plug in values that get closer and closer to 0. Did I prove it? No. However, just about anyone can see that the limit is 0. If you want to actually prove it mathematically, the only way I can see this possible is by using e-d. If I'm overloking something though, I'm all ears.

edit:

I think I may know what you're talking about. For a lot of problems, you can take exploit continuity. In my example (and a lot of examples), you can. This of course assumes that you're allowed to assume the function is continuous at the point in question (which requires e-d and evaluating the limit there anyways). However, whenever I see "prove the limit" in a calculus book, I never think of evaluating it.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  11. Aug 9, 2011 #10
    I agree fully, but the rules for french spelling have changed.

"In the 17th and 18th centuries, the name was commonly spelled "l'Hospital", however, French spellings have been altered: the silent 's' has been dropped and replaced with the circumflex over the preceding vowel." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillaume_de_l'Hôpital

Similar to forêt and forest... I actually wonder if the name was changed posthumously or if he started life as l'Hôpital, any ideas?

Either way, the pronounciation should definitely not include the 's'. That's why I mentioned it, so that the OP doesn't go around asking colleagues or professors about the l'Hospital rule using the english pronounciation for hospital, which may cause confusion or get a giggle out of said colleague or professor :wink:

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook