1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lifting a canister with a pulley

1. Oct 11, 2006 #1
    In the figure, a cord runs around two massless, frictionless pulleys; a canister with mass m = 25 kg hangs from one pulley; and you exert a force F on the free end of the cord. What must be the magnitude of F if you are to lift the canister at a constant speed?

Here i know that the answer is mg*d. So 25*9.81*0.066m but i am not getting the answer. as i have in the book. in the previous question was To lift the canister by 3.3 cm i had to lift it by 6.6 cm so i dont what i am doing that i s wrong. Thanks for the help

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

There is no figure associated with your post, but from the last thing you said, it sounds like the pulley arrangement gives you a 2:1 force advantage. Did you take that into account in your calculation for the first question?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?