Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Light emitting chemicals and electromagnetic fields.

1. Apr 27, 2006 #1
    I am stumped, and googled out.

I am interested in knowing whether or not anyone knows of a chemical in liquid form, that will glow or emit light when it is excited by electrons, or more specifically an electromagnetic field.

If I am generating an electromagnetic field and want to be able to use an areosol spray to illuminate that field I would pretty much have to have a liquid chemical that can transform electrical energy into photons right?

Just curious!

Thanks in advance for any answers pro or con.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

Well, there is chemiluminescence, but that means a chemical reaction.

In non-destructive testing, one method is dye penetrant testing in which one uses a dye that is illuminated by a UV light, which is phosphorescent.

Some materials are phosphorescent after exposure to visible light - "some glow in the dark" chemicals.

See - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphorescence

Certainly a static magnetic field will not induce phosphorescence, but a time varying one might if the energy is sufficient.

One might search for "Magnetoluminescence" on Google - there appears to be a fair amount of sites mentioning this. But one might add other qualifiers like "theory".

Magnetoluminescence from strain induced quantum dots
  4. Apr 28, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What do you mean by electromagnetic field ? That's what light is ! A photon is a quantum of an electromagnetic field.

Please clarify - what kind of field generator are you using ?
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2006
  5. Apr 28, 2006 #4

Staff: Mentor

Gokul prompted a thought - if it's an RF field, e.g. microwave, then perhpas some thermoluminescent compound would be appropriate. Otherwise, you're pretty much stuck with visible or UV.

Some background - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoluminescence

Maybe look into this book -
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?