Light velocity, wavelength, and frequency

In summary, the frequency remains the same while the velocity and wavelength of light change when traveling between two media with different indexes of refraction. This is necessary for the electric and magnetic fields to remain continuous at the refractive boundary.
JDiorio
Just a quick concept check.

I was asked that as light travels between two media, what happens to its frequency, wavelength and velocity.

I want to say that the frequency remains the same while the velocity and wavelength change, based on the difference of the index of refraction between the two media. But because frequency remains constant, their changes are indirectly proportional so that the frequency stays the same.

Am i right? Thanks

Science news on Phys.org
You are right. Frequency remains the same.

Can I ask why? I've never known. Does this way keep the electric field continuous or something?

MikeyW said:
Does this way keep the electric field continuous or something?
Exactly. The only way for the electric and magnetic fields to be continuous at the refractive boundary is if the frequency is unchanged.

What is the speed of light?

The speed of light, denoted by the symbol c, is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second (m/s) in a vacuum. This value is constant and serves as a fundamental constant in physics.

How are wavelength and frequency related to the speed of light?

The wavelength (λ) and frequency (f) of light are inversely proportional to each other, and both are directly related to the speed of light. This relationship is described by the equation c = λf, where c is the speed of light.

What is the unit of measurement for wavelength and frequency?

Wavelength is typically measured in meters (m), while frequency is measured in hertz (Hz). However, other units such as nanometers (nm) and megahertz (MHz) are also commonly used.

How is the speed of light affected by the medium it travels through?

The speed of light is influenced by the medium it travels through. In a vacuum, light travels at its maximum speed of approximately 299,792,458 m/s. In other mediums such as air, water, or glass, the speed of light is slightly slower.

What is the relationship between energy and frequency of light?

The energy of a photon of light is directly proportional to its frequency. This relationship is described by the equation E = hf, where h is Planck's constant (6.626 x 10^-34 joule seconds).