Lightning compared to piezo electric element

In summary, the conversation discusses building and testing a lightning detector that utilizes the piezo electric element of an electric lighter to generate a small spark. The question is raised about how far away an average lightning bolt needs to be in order to produce the same amount of energy in the antenna. The relationship between voltage and distance is discussed, with a suggestion to use a wideband detector with a peak sensing circuit for calibration.
mekhall
I'm building (or rather, debugging) a lightning detector that detects the electromagnetic charge emitted by a lightning bolt.

I need a good way to generate a little lightning as a test signal and I'm currently using a the piezo electric part of an electric lighter which generates a small spark.

The piezo electric element generates about 20 to 25 kV and produces a spark that is about 3 mm long. If I hold it two meters from my antenna, at what distance does an average lightning bolt need to be to produce the same amount of energy in my antenna?

Of course a lot of estimations and averages will need to be used, but roughly?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to sort out your terms of reference, I think. A lightning strike 'emits' an EM pulse and not a "charge". You can save yourself a lot of time and effort by learning more basics before launching out on haphazard measurements, imo.

Pulse is probably the word yes.

I know it is a difficult question to answer but someone might know how to make such an estimation, I hope.

The relationship will be proportional, assuming the air becomes conductive at the same electric field strength. This is about 3 million V/m, or 30,000 V/mm. Your 20-25kV was probably able to generate a current over a larger 3 mm due to geometric considerations (the field is concentrated near sharp edges of a conductor).

To find the voltage for 2m, just multiply 25[kV] by 2[m]/3[mm]

Calibration can be difficult but what you need is a wideband detector with a peak sensing circuit. Something along the lines of a peak programme audio circuit. Having calibrated it with low level signals, you just put a large attenuator at its input to measure high levels.
[Edit: a log amp would be useful for showing a wide range of signal values (dB scale).]

Last edited:

What is the difference between lightning and piezo electric element?

Lightning is a natural phenomenon that occurs when there is a buildup of electric charge in clouds, which is then discharged to the ground. Piezo electric elements, on the other hand, are man-made materials that generate electricity when subjected to mechanical pressure.

How is electricity generated in lightning and piezo electric element?

In lightning, the buildup of electric charge in the clouds is caused by the separation of positive and negative charges. When the difference in charges becomes too great, the electricity is discharged in the form of lightning. In piezo electric elements, the mechanical pressure causes a displacement of positive and negative charges, creating an electric field and generating electricity.

Which one is more powerful, lightning or piezo electric element?

Lightning is significantly more powerful than a piezo electric element. A single bolt of lightning can contain up to one billion volts of electricity, while a piezo electric element typically generates only a few volts.

Can lightning and piezo electric element be used as a renewable energy source?

While lightning is a natural phenomenon and cannot be controlled or harnessed as an energy source, piezo electric elements can be used as a renewable energy source. They can be incorporated into devices such as sensors, generators, and even shoes to generate electricity from mechanical movement.

Are there any risks associated with lightning and piezo electric element?

Lightning can be dangerous as it can cause injury or damage to property. Piezo electric elements, on the other hand, do not pose any significant risks as they produce low levels of electricity. However, improper handling or manufacturing of these elements may lead to potential hazards, such as electric shock or fire.