DEMcMillan said:
I used the verb postulate in my cited sentence without looking up its meaning. My Webster’s second unabridged dictionary indicates three choices. The second, to assume without proof to be true was closest to my intention.
You do not merely "assume without proof" --- you `assume'
in direct contradiction to a large body of observed data.
I had already indicated that there is no current consensus on the basis for sunspot magnetism
On the contrary, there is a
VERY strong scientific consensus on sunspot magnetism (see, e.g.,
http://trs-new.jpl.nasa.gov/dspace/bitstream/2014/14171/1/00-0576.pdf" --- and directly falsify your "postulate" on at least two distinct grounds.
A reading of Hale’s 1915 paper http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1090830 will make the basis for the mistake clearer.
Please note that in the above paper
Hale did not measure the orientations of sunspot rotations --- he merely
speculated on the orientations of sunspot rotations. What he actually
measured was merely the orientations of
sunspot magnetic fluxes. Hale freely admits on p.382 that
direct measurement of sunspot rotation was "remote" given the equipment he had available in his day --- which was far less precise than the equipment that we have available now, and which, unlike Hale's equipment, is now precise enough that we
can now make http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1976IzKry..54..184K"
These measurements directly falsify Hale's speculation that a sunspot's magnetic flux orientation was determined by said sunspot's circulation direction.
Why don't you try reading a few papers a little more recent than the "ancient history" of 1915 --- like
http://journals.royalsociety.org/index/U164400254564003.pdf" You might learn a few new facts about sunspots that Hale didn't know ---
because Hale died in 1938, long before they were discovered.
Solar Astronomy didn't stop when Hale died. Your preference for citing ancient papers containing lower quality or ambiguous data while obdurately ignoring more recent papers with higher quality data that directly falsify your "postulate" loses you credibility points each time you do it.
I have been forming a clarifying response, but have been delayed by a need to assure myself about a point before proceeding. I now have preliminary information that the Sun’s overall polarity changes every 11 years, a required feature of the solar charge model I offered
http://helios.gsfc.nasa.gov/solarmag.html If anyone has strong negative information about this point, I hope they will furnish it.
Quite frankly, I do not think you fully understand the difference between "electrical polarity" (i.e., sign of the electrical charge density), and "magnetic polarity" (i.e., the relative orientation of the magnetic flux through a specified oriented surface). Electric charge is a scalar. Magnetic "polarity" is the relative orientation of the
http://info.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Teaching/Courses/EFT/dynamics/html/magnetic_flux.html" when projected along some specified reference vector; neither of these magnetic "polarities" are the least bit "charge-like."
Absent negative information about solar overall polarity change, in two or three days I will flesh out the model to make it testable. In the meantime, I ask gdp to offer any alternative that you find attractive
I have already pointed you to the
http://helios.gsfc.nasa.gov/dynamo..html" containing measurements of sunspot magnetic structure and gas-flow structure that directly falsify your "postulate" --- and which you again clearly either did not bother to read or failed to understand.
I have pointed out that your "postulate" is immediately falsified because, given the fact that all sunspots have the same gas-flow circulation, http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1976IzKry..54..184K" your "postulate" falsely predicts that all sunspots in a given hemisphere must have the same magnetic polarity, rather than occurring in opposite polarity pairs as observed --- a "prediction" which is clearly directly contradicted by the very observations by Hale that you so like to cite.
I have pointed out that your "postulate" falsely predicts that sunspots will have an electric field that dominates their magnetic field, so that sunspots should show a
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stark_effect" who was very unhappy about it because it falsified his sunspot model), a sunspot's magnetic field must necessarily be very much stronger than its electric field, directly falsifying your "postulate," which falsely predicts that a sunspot's electric field must be very much stronger than its magnetic field.
I suggest that rather than "postulating" from your armchair, you behave like a Physicist, and go to the blackboard to use the observed typical sunspot size (~1e4 km) and magnetic fields strength (~1e3 Gauss) to estimate the order of magnitude of a typical sunspot's magnetic moment --- which will allow you to estimate the magnitude of electric current required to produce the field, which together with the http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1976IzKry..54..184K" (~ 1 km/sec) will allow you to estimate the order of magnitude of the required surface-charge density, which will tell you the order of magnitude of the electric fields that your "postulate" would predict. You will find that the required charge densities and electric field strengths are totally implausible.
Until you bother to take the time to perform the above calculation and see how badly it disagrees with the observed data, your continued armchair "postulating" in contradiction to the observed data will merely continue to rack up points on your
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/crackpot.html"