Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh: Spreading the Myth of an "Obama Recession

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: It's silly to say that Obama caused the current troubles. But it is not silly to say that fears of an Obama Presidency with a Democratic Congress are at play. Recently Treasury Sec. Paulson was given $700 billion to buy up devalued mortgage assets. He spent $350 billion, but not for that purpose. Instead he bought preferred stock. It is coming out now that Paulson wants to abandon current activity and instead focus on I'm not sure what, the automobile industry, student loans, credit card debt. I think he's still working out the content of the new plan. Republicans were right to vote against that package.Now the market remembers that the President elect was a cheerleader for that failed plan
Helios said:
Are they idiots? Tell that to Rush as he drives past you to make a bank deposit. In the marketplace, the consumer rules. Rush prospers but you must "blame" the audience for being the "idiots". Actually Rush is pretty dang funny when you have figured out his schtick.

The Free Market (TM), ladies and gentlemen.

If any of you still believe in it, let me remind you of Britney Spears, Paris Hilton, and your local news. All thanks to the Free Market (TM).

And what does government spending produce? The Peace Corp, student loans, and research grants.

Yes, I am cherry picking my examples. But I just think it's hilarious that it's thanks to the Free Market (TM) that we get people like Rush Limbaugh, which is a cancer on society.

Physics news on Phys.org
WarPhalange said:
And what does government spending produce? The Peace Corp, student loans, and research grants.

The list goes on and on.

The following is an excerpt from an argument I had 3 days after the start of the 2nd gulf war when I suggested that we raise the tax on automobile fuel by $3/gallon and invest it in alternative energy:

AntiOm said:
Quickly I will deal with "photovoltaic" technology. Government money comes with government agendas. This will effectively hamper and mislead any attempt at comprehensive research. ( Even a brief study in the history of governmental intrusion into the realm of research will proof this. )

Omcheeto said:
I happen to like highways, sewer systems, the internet, running water, having made it to the moon, etc. etc.

I don't usually document my arguments, but this one was quite humorous.

As for the two idiots, I've never watched or listened to Hannity. My views on Limbaugh are the same as Evo's. Although I would use several more colorful adjectives to describe him.

AntiOm said:
I happen to like highways, sewer systems, the internet, running water, having made it to the moon, etc. etc.

This reminds me of the Mormon guy on CNN... what's his name... Glenn Beck, pounding on his desk and saying, "I want to know how we're going to fight World War III!"

When his show first appeared he seemed somewhat reasonable for a conservative but later on the crazy came out. Then, I couldn't figure out why he kept mentioning clean coal as a wonderful new power source, the ultimate solution to all energy problems. I heard how the coal industry had launched a massive deeply funded PR campaign and I lost any shred of respect I had for him. (I realize that coal gas and things do have some potential, but this was over the top and suspiciously timed.)

eh, free market is what brings you variety. would you really want to live in a world with only government cheese? i wouldn't, and i don't even like cheese.

Proton Soup said:
eh, free market is what brings you variety. would you really want to live in a world with only government cheese? i wouldn't, and i don't even like cheese.

Odd you should mention cheese. I was looking up the definition of "being milked" today and ran across an article about the price of milk being determined in a secret room based on the value of 500 lb blocks of cheese.

Anyways, yes, you are correct. Government run everything would be disastrous.(see: USSR)
But they are good for really big projects that the private sector can't afford.

http://www.mwscomp.com/movies/brian/brian-09.htm"
Reg: All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?
Xerxes: Brought peace.
Reg: Oh. Peace? Shut up!

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you been to your local Safeway lately? Okay, the cheese is good, but if you look at something like ham, you have plenty variety, but they are all equally low on the quality scale.

It's all garbage. If you need an objective way to show how poor quality a certain food is, just look at how long it takes to go bad. If I leave an apple in my fridge, a week can go by and its fine, maybe 2 weeks even, I don't know, it's never really come to that. Banana's don't last 2 weeks. Real ham tends to be bad after a week. Safeway ham? Like a month.

Know how you win the war on terror? Put Safeways in the Middle East. Then, the people living there will be too fat and malnourished to do anything useful.

OmCheeto said:
Odd you should mention cheese. I was looking up the definition of "being milked" today and ran across an article about the price of milk being determined in a secret room based on the value of 500 lb blocks of cheese.

Actually, for a long time, here in the NorthEast U.S. at least, dairy prices were federally price-controlled. So that makes sense to me.

WarPhalange said:
Have you been to your local Safeway lately? Okay, the cheese is good, but if you look at something like ham, you have plenty variety, but they are all equally low on the quality scale.

It's all garbage. If you need an objective way to show how poor quality a certain food is, just look at how long it takes to go bad. If I leave an apple in my fridge, a week can go by and its fine, maybe 2 weeks even, I don't know, it's never really come to that. Banana's don't last 2 weeks. Real ham tends to be bad after a week. Safeway ham? Like a month.

Know how you win the war on terror? Put Safeways in the Middle East. Then, the people living there will be too fat and malnourished to do anything useful.

bananas? they simply last what they last. they've been going through a ripening process long before they get to you. apples? depends on the variety. some don't last. some you can put in a barrel and keep in storage for months.

ham's probably full of preservatives, usually. there's also different curing processes like sugaring or smoking. not sure how long those last, but the curing was around long before the current consumer type products.

but... there's generally two kinds of consumer foods. one is sold at places like Wal-Mart for the masses, the other at Publix or much more swank outlets to people that don't mind paying 30~100% more for the privilege of avoiding Wal-Mart people.

CaptainQuasar said:
Actually, for a long time, here in the NorthEast U.S. at least, dairy prices were federally price-controlled. So that makes sense to me.

Down with the government! Let our cows go!

http://tracypress.com/content/view/11073/2244/"
Written by Tracy Press
Friday, 07 September 2007
A commentary by Joel Greeno of MinutemanMedia.org.

There is no free market for fresh milk in the U.S., unless you buy it directly from a farmer. Consumer prices are calculated by the U.S. Department of Agriculture through a bizarre, outdated formula and the federal market order system. This USDA-imposed “price” is based upon secretive trading of 500-pound cheddar blocks on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange. At the request of Sen. Russ Feingold, D-Wis., the General Accounting Office recently concluded an investigation of the Chicago Mercantile Exchange, which found it prone to market manipulation and price fixing.

Under the federal price support system known as MILC (Milk Income Lost Contract), I am expected to lose $8 per 100 pounds to receive a 33-cent per 100 pound subsidy because the “free” market won’t cover my cost of production. That means, on my farm, I lose $3,600 per month in income to claim a $148.50 check from the government. And our politicians think they have done family farmers a favor with this subsidy system, when they should be demanding that the corporations pay a fair price!

I like how Hannity is the buff, handsome guy and Colmes is the scrawny, ugly guy. Very well-played by Fox.

Speaking in general of conservatives getting owned http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_h4Pi8wcns" of Chris Matthews catching Kevin James trying to fake basic historical knowledge he didn't have is almost painful to watch. Matthews takes James up in his jaws and shakes him around like a rag doll for like five minutes straight, James is basically bleeding his guts out all over the stage and Matthews will not show him the slightest bit of mercy. (But the good stuff begins within the first thirty seconds.) I swear that Matthews is autistic or something.

Matthews is weird, Olbermann messes up his words every 5 minutes, and they have Pat Buchanan on. And they still manage not to totally suck. It's like a caricature of Fox.

Yeah, Matthews sometimes acts just like a friend of mine who has Asperger's syndrome.

He spits a lot, too.

But if you like total ownage, check this out:

That one was great too, I remember watching it.

WarPhalange said:
I like how Hannity is the buff, handsome guy ...

I'm complaining to my cable operator.

He comes out like a smug pompous Jabba the Hut in a suit on my tv.

Haw haw. No, compare him to Colmes. He's bigger (not fatter, but a bigger build), has more hair, and his face doesn't look like he has been dead for 3 days.

Back