1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit as n-> infinity with integral - Please check

1. Apr 27, 2012 #1
    Limit as n-> infinity with integral -- Please check

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Compute [tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} \int_{0}^{1} \frac{e^{x^4}}{n} dx.[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

We can put the limit inside the integral as long as a function is continuous on a bounded interval, such as [0,1].

3. The attempt at a solution

I have a solution, and am just curious if I am using the right facts and/or rationale.

We consider a sequence of continuous functions [tex]f_{n} = \frac{e^{x^4}}{n}[/tex] for [tex]x \in [0,1][/tex]. Since [tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{e^{x^4}}{n} = 0[/tex], then [tex]f_{n}[/tex] converges pointwise to [tex]f(x) = 0[/tex].

Now we prove it converges uniformly. For a given [tex]\epsilon > 0[/tex], there exists [tex]N = \frac{e}{\epsilon}[/tex] such that whenever [tex]n > N[/tex], we have [tex]|f_{n} - f| = |\frac{e^{x^4}}{n} - 0| < \epsilon.[/tex]. We derived the value of [tex]N[/tex] by knowing that since [tex]x \in [0,1][/tex], that [tex]\frac{e^{x^4}}{n} \le \frac{e}{n}[/tex].

Now we can just compute [tex]\int_{0}^{1} \lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{e^{x^4}}{n} dx.[/tex]. This is just zero.

So what do you think?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2012 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Re: Limit as n-> infinity with integral -- Please check

Looks okay. :smile:

Just as an observation.

Since n is constant within the integral, you can move it outside of the integral.
    The integral itself is fully determined and will have some constant value.
    Dividing this constant value by n will approach zero, so the limit is 0.

$$\lim_{n \to \infty} \int_{0}^{1} \frac{e^{x^4}}{n} dx = \lim_{n \to \infty} \frac 1 n \int_{0}^{1} e^{x^4} dx = \lim_{n \to \infty} \frac 1 n C = 0$$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook