Limit at infinity; l'hopital's rule not working as expected

In summary, the conversation discusses using partial fraction decomposition to solve a problem involving an integral with infinity as the upper bound. The resulting equation is then simplified and L'Hopital's rule is suggested as a possible method for solving it. However, it is pointed out that L'Hopital may not be applicable and a different approach may be needed.
cwbullivant

Homework Statement

Lim(t->(inf)) 1/2((t^2)+1) + (ln|(t^2)+1|)/2 - 1/2

Homework Equations

N/A (unless L'Hopital's rule can be counted as an equation for this section)

The Attempt at a Solution

Background:

The problem started with:

inf
∫(x^3)/((x^2)+1)^2 dx

Using partial fraction decomposition, and using two separate online calculators to verify the answer, this came to:1/2((x^2)+1) + (ln|(x^2)+1|)/2

Per requirements for bounds at infinity, I substituted infinity for t, coming out to:1/2((t^2)+1) + (ln|(t^2)+1|)/2 - 1/2

This appears to be something to use L'hopital's rule on. It is in 0 + Infinity state at the beginning. Given the infinity involved, the 1/2 is ignored as it is numerical insignificant as t becomes maximally large.

Making the appropriate simplification:

(1 + ((t^2) + 1)(ln|(t^2)+1|))/((2t^2)+2)

To save a bit of typing, L'hopital's rule, for the first two times, but after t dropped out of the denominator, it was reintroduced in the third derivative set, and seems to go on forever (implying the limit does not exist). When I plug in the original integral with a very large upper bound, it appears to be going to zero. However, I'm not satisfied with that; I need to know what I'm doing wrong in this limit that is causing it to give me an incorrect answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
What makes you think you can use L'Hopital here? Unless there's a typo in your formula, L'Hopital seems completely inapplicable.

Perhaps what you need instead is just the sum of two limits: if lim f(x) = a, lim g(x) = b and a+b is well defined (not ∞-∞), then lim (f(x)+g(x)) = a+b.

1. What is the concept of "limit at infinity"?

The concept of "limit at infinity" refers to the behavior of a function as the input values approach infinity. In other words, it describes what happens to the output of a function as the input value gets larger and larger.

2. How does L'Hopital's rule work?

L'Hopital's rule is a mathematical technique used to evaluate limits of indeterminate forms, where both the numerator and denominator of a fraction approach either 0 or infinity. It involves taking the derivative of both the numerator and denominator separately and then evaluating the limit again.

3. Why may L'Hopital's rule not work as expected for limits at infinity?

In some cases, L'Hopital's rule may not work as expected for limits at infinity because the function may not be able to be differentiated multiple times, or the resulting derivative may still result in an indeterminate form. Additionally, the rule may not apply to some types of functions, such as trigonometric or exponential functions.

4. What are some alternative methods for evaluating limits at infinity?

There are several alternative methods for evaluating limits at infinity, such as using algebraic manipulation, factoring, or substituting in large values. In some cases, it may also be helpful to graph the function to visualize its behavior at infinity.

5. Are there any limitations to using L'Hopital's rule for evaluating limits at infinity?

Yes, there are limitations to using L'Hopital's rule for evaluating limits at infinity. As mentioned before, the rule may not apply to certain types of functions. Additionally, it may give incorrect results if not applied correctly, and it may be difficult to use for more complex functions. It is important to understand the assumptions and conditions for using L'Hopital's rule before applying it to a limit at infinity.