1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit at infinity; l'hopital's rule not working as expected

1. Oct 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Lim(t->(inf)) 1/2((t^2)+1) + (ln|(t^2)+1|)/2 - 1/2

2. Relevant equations

N/A (unless L'Hopital's rule can be counted as an equation for this section)

3. The attempt at a solution

Background:

The problem started with:

inf
    ∫(x^3)/((x^2)+1)^2 dx

Using partial fraction decomposition, and using two separate online calculators to verify the answer, this came to:

1/2((x^2)+1) + (ln|(x^2)+1|)/2

Per requirements for bounds at infinity, I substituted infinity for t, coming out to:

1/2((t^2)+1) + (ln|(t^2)+1|)/2 - 1/2

This appears to be something to use L'hopital's rule on. It is in 0 + Infinity state at the beginning. Given the infinity involved, the 1/2 is ignored as it is numerical insignificant as t becomes maximally large.

Making the appropriate simplification:

(1 + ((t^2) + 1)(ln|(t^2)+1|))/((2t^2)+2)

To save a bit of typing, L'hopital's rule, for the first two times, but after t dropped out of the denominator, it was reintroduced in the third derivative set, and seems to go on forever (implying the limit does not exist). When I plug in the original integral with a very large upper bound, it appears to be going to zero. However, I'm not satisfied with that; I need to know what I'm doing wrong in this limit that is causing it to give me an incorrect answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2012 #2
    What makes you think you can use L'Hopital here? Unless there's a typo in your formula, L'Hopital seems completely inapplicable.

Perhaps what you need instead is just the sum of two limits: if lim f(x) = a, lim g(x) = b and a+b is well defined (not ∞-∞), then lim (f(x)+g(x)) = a+b.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook