Limit calculation involving log and trig functions

In summary, the question is asking if the quotient rule of limit can be applied when the denominator is not zero, and the answer is no.
kshitij
Homework Statement
(see attached)
Relevant Equations
-
This was the question,
2021-08-06 08_37_42.872cropped.png

The above solution is the one that I got originally by the question setters,
Below are my attempts (I don't know why is the size of image automatically reduced but hope that its clear enough to understand),
2021-08-06 08_37_42.872cropped 2.png
2021-08-06 08_37_42.872cropped 3.png

As you can see that both these methods give different answers and both of which are wrong.

I checked my attempts using wolfram and found that upto this point in method I,
2021-08-06 08_37_42.872cropped 4.png

This limit matches the correct answer according to wolfram,
Screen Shot 2021-08-07 at 6.42.51 PM.png

And similarly in method II upto this step,
2021-08-06 08_37_42.872cropped 5.png

The limit matches the answer,
Screen Shot 2021-08-07 at 6.47.21 PM.png

So, I think that when I substituted (for some reasons LaTeX is not working)
Screen Shot 2021-08-07 at 6.54.25 PM.png
, It all got wrong but why? Why can't we substitute that? Even in the original solution they substituted
Screen Shot 2021-08-07 at 6.55.48 PM.png
and yet their answer is correct so why is my attempt wrong?

(P.S. sorry for all those attachments, I had already typed all these earlier and didn't want to redo this in LaTeX and if those images of my attempt aren't clear to read you can see the full image here)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You just can't apply the quotient rule of the limit (that $$\lim_{h\to h_0} \frac{f(h)}{g(h)}=\frac{\lim_{h \to h_0} f(h)}{\lim_{h\to h_0} g(h)}$$)in this way because it leads to 0/0. The quotient rule of limit can be applied only if the denominator (that is ##\lim_{h\to h_0} g(h)##) is not zero.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes kshitij
Delta2 said:
You just can't apply the quotient rule of the limit (that $$\lim_{h\to h_0} \frac{f(h)}{g(h)}=\frac{\lim_{h \to h_0} f(h)}{\lim_{h\to h_0} g(h)}$$)in this way because it leads to 0/0. The quotient rule of limit can be applied only if the denominator (that is ##\lim_{h\to h_0} g(h)##) is not zero.
I didn't knew that!

But in the original solution also they used the quotient rule even though both the numerator and denominator is zero. Is that also incorrect?

No they don't actually use it, they see it leads to 0/0 and they use L'Hospital rule instead.

Delta2 said:
No they don't actually use it, they see it leads to 0/0 and they use L'Hospital rule instead.
I don't think I understand what you're saying, I was talking about the last step
$$\lim_{h\to 0} \frac{h-\tan h}{h^2 \cdot \tan h}=\lim_{h\to 0} \frac{h-\tan h}{h^3 \cdot \frac{\tan h}{h}}=\frac{\lim_{h \to 0} h-\tan h}{\lim_{h\to 0} h^3 \cdot \frac{\tan h}{h}}=\frac{\lim_{h \to 0} h-\tan h}{\lim_{h\to 0} h^3 }=\lim_{h\to 0} \frac{h-\tan h}{h^3}$$

No the last step doesn't go like this. They don't use the quotient rule except in the very last step (which is not shown) after they have done some algebra which removes the 0/0 form. It goes as follows.

$$=\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{-1}{3\frac{\tan\theta}{\theta}}+\frac{...}{\theta ^3\frac{tan\theta}{\theta}}$$ where the ##...## contains a sum of powers of ##\theta## which are greater than 3 so that term is actually a sum of terms of ##\frac{\theta^k}{\frac{\tan\theta}{\theta}}## for ##k>0## which of course is not of the type 0/0 but 0/1=0.

Likes kshitij
Delta2 said:
No the last step doesn't go like this. They don't use the quotient rule except in the very last step (which is not shown) after they have done some algebra which removes the 0/0 form. It goes as follows.

$$=\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{-1}{3\frac{\tan\theta}{\theta}}+\frac{...}{\theta ^3\frac{tan\theta}{\theta}}$$ where the ##...## contains a sum of powers of ##\theta## which are greater than 3 so that term is actually a sum of terms of ##\frac{\theta^k}{\frac{\tan\theta}{\theta}}## for ##k>0## which of course is not of the type 0/0 but 0/1=0.
That makes sense, Thank you!

Likes Delta2

1. What is a limit?

A limit is the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a certain value or point. It is used to describe the behavior of a function near a specific point.

2. How do I calculate a limit involving log and trig functions?

To calculate a limit involving log and trig functions, you can use algebraic manipulation, trigonometric identities, and the properties of logarithms to simplify the expression. Then, you can plug in the value that the input is approaching to find the limit.

3. What are some common properties of logarithmic functions?

Some common properties of logarithmic functions include the product rule, quotient rule, power rule, and change of base formula. These properties can be used to simplify and evaluate logarithmic expressions.

4. How do I evaluate a limit involving infinity?

To evaluate a limit involving infinity, you can use L'Hôpital's rule, which states that the limit of the ratio of two functions is equal to the limit of their derivatives. You can also use algebraic manipulation to rewrite the expression in a form that is easier to evaluate.

5. Can I use a calculator to evaluate limits involving log and trig functions?

Yes, you can use a calculator to evaluate limits involving log and trig functions. However, it is important to note that calculators may not always give an exact answer and can sometimes give an approximation. It is always best to double-check your calculations by hand to ensure accuracy.