Limit evaluation. (Please confirm my work)

In summary, the conversation involves evaluating a limit and using synthetic division to simplify the polynomial. The final answer is 3, which is confirmed by the other person in the conversation.
mateomy
Evaluate:

[tex]
\lim_{x \to 2}\,\frac{x^3-4x^2+7x-6}{x-2}
[/tex]

To evaluate this limit did some synthetic division to ultimately get the polynomial of
[tex]
x^2-2x+3
[/tex]

and evaluating this as as [itex]x\to2[/itex] I ended up with a final answer of 3.

Can someone just confirm that this is in fact, the correct answer. I have nothing to check my work with and I am just making sure all my skills are in order before my final.

Thank you very much in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, this is correct. You could also use L'Hopital's rule to check, if you know about that.

Awesome thanks. No, not quite at L'Hopital yet, next semester.

1. What is limit evaluation?

Limit evaluation is a mathematical concept used to determine the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a particular value.

2. How is limit evaluation used in real-world applications?

Limit evaluation is used in various fields of science and engineering to model and analyze physical phenomena, such as the rate of change of a chemical reaction or the speed of a moving object.

3. What is the purpose of limit evaluation?

The main purpose of limit evaluation is to understand the behavior of a function near a particular point, which can provide insights into the overall behavior of the function.

4. How is limit evaluation different from regular evaluation of a function?

The main difference between limit evaluation and regular evaluation of a function is that limit evaluation focuses on the behavior of the function near a particular point, while regular evaluation looks at the overall value of the function at a specific point.

5. Are there any limitations to limit evaluation?

Yes, limit evaluation may not always provide an accurate representation of the overall behavior of a function, as it only focuses on the behavior near a particular point. Additionally, some functions may have discontinuities or undefined points that cannot be evaluated using limits.