1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit for a two variables function Question

1. Dec 8, 2007 #1

I have some doubts bound up with an exercise of limits. It demands to calculate the existence of the limit in (0,0) of these two functions.

My solution for the first one til now is:

Well, after the substitution we have [​IMG]

So we can use [​IMG]

Using [​IMG]

And [​IMG]

Well, I don't know if I've done correctly all the process, but if I did, I guess that in the next step I have to calculate the limit by the definition to conclude the exercise, and that's one of the things that I don't know how to do.
    The second exercise is similar to the first one but I don't know how to do it either. Maybe the minus changes the result and there's not limit and any necessity of employing the definition.
    Anyhow, can someone lend me a hand? :)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

For problems like this, after you have tried taking the limit along different paths and seen that you don't get different answer (which would have proved the limit does not exist), I recommend converting to polar coordinates. That way "closeness" to (0,0) is measured only by r, not the angle [/itex]\theta[/itex]. If the limit, as r goes to 0, is a constant, not depending on [itex]\theta[/itex] that is the limit of the function. If the limit as r goes to 0 depends on [itex]\theta[/itex], the limit does not exist.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?