What is the Limit of a Geometric Series with a Fractional Common Ratio?

In summary: Doing so gives you \sum_{n=1}^\infty ar^n=a\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{3^n}{4^n}=a\left( \frac{3}{4}\right)^n
togame

Homework Statement

Evaluate the problem: [tex]\sum_{k=1}^\infty \frac{3^{(k-1)}}{4^{(k+1)}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[itex]\displaystyle\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} S_n = \frac{a}{1-r}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the limit of the partial sequence is what i need to help solve this, but can't figure out how to do that. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
togame said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I know that the limit of the partial sequence is what i need to help solve this, but can't figure out how to do that. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Factor some terms out so it looks like (3/4)k, and k=0..∞

EDIT: cleanest way might be pullout 1/16 and shift your index, an alternative might be pulling out 1/12 and adding (and subtracting) 1 (or 1/12 rather).

SECOND EDIT: I apologize, I didn't read your question carefully.

Last edited:
togame said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Start by figuring out what is r and what is a. Also, in [itex]S_n,[/itex] what values of n are included (i.e., where does n "start")?

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
Start by figuring out what is r and what is a. Also, in [itex]S_n,[/itex] what values of n are included (i.e., where does n "start")?

RGV
Related to Ray Vickson's last point, the sum of a geometric series is
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty ar^n= \frac{a}{1- r}[/tex]

Your sum is
[tex]\sum_{n= 1}^\infty \frac{3^n}{4^n}= \sum_{n=1}^\infty \left(\frac{3}{4}\right)^n[/tex]

Do you see the difference?

HallsofIvy said:
Related to Ray Vickson's last point, the sum of a geometric series is
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty ar^n= \frac{a}{1- r}[/tex]

Your sum is
[tex]\sum_{n= 1}^\infty \frac{3^n}{4^n}= \sum_{n=1}^\infty \left(\frac{3}{4}\right)^n[/tex]

Do you see the difference?

Don't forget the 1/12 factor taken out in the HOI equation. :wink:

Just as [itex](1-r)(1+r)=1-r^2[/itex], we have [itex](1-r)(1+r+r^2+\cdots+r^n)=1-r^{n+1}[/itex]. So if [itex]r\ne 1[/itex], then
[tex]1+r+r^2+\cdots+r^n=\frac{1-r^{n+1}}{1-r}.[/tex]
Additionally, if [itex]r<1[/itex], then we can take the limit of both sides. Notice the left side is your partial sum. Also, you may multiply both sides by [itex]a[/itex].

Last edited:

FAQ: What is the Limit of a Geometric Series with a Fractional Common Ratio?

1. What is the formula for finding the limit of a geometric series?

The formula for finding the limit of a geometric series is given by:
L = a / (1-r), where L is the limit, a is the first term, and r is the common ratio.

2. How do you determine if a geometric series has a finite limit?

A geometric series has a finite limit if the absolute value of the common ratio (|r|) is less than 1. If |r| is greater than or equal to 1, then the series does not have a finite limit.

3. Can a geometric series have a negative limit?

Yes, a geometric series can have a negative limit. This occurs when the common ratio (r) is negative and the absolute value of r is less than 1.

4. What is the significance of the limit of a geometric series?

The limit of a geometric series represents the value that the terms of the series approach as the number of terms increases. It is used to determine if a series converges (has a finite limit) or diverges (does not have a finite limit).

5. How do you calculate the sum of a geometric series?

The formula for calculating the sum of a geometric series is given by:
S = a / (1-r), where S is the sum, a is the first term, and r is the common ratio. If the series has a finite limit, the sum can be found by using this formula. If the series does not have a finite limit, the sum is infinite.