1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of a long trig function.

1. Nov 2, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    x->0 ((sin5x)/(sin2x) - (sin3x)/(4x))

2. Relevant equations
    i guess sinx/x as x approaches zero is 1.

3. The attempt at a solution
    lets be honest, this is a simple question. i am getting a final answer of 4, but it is wrong apperently according to the book's solution. i want to see if anyone else got this answer

I separated the limit into two limits, divided by 5x's and 2x's on the left limit and divided by 3x's on the right limit. this shouldnt be a problem (and yes i divided top and bottom by the same amounts so they would cancel out; thats not my mistake). please someone help
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2008 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You've obviously made an algebra error somewhere, If you show your work, we can tell you where your error is.
  4. Nov 2, 2008 #3

Staff: Mentor

Are you sure you have given us the problem as it appears in your book or assignment? Could it be lim sin(5x)/(2x) - sin(3x)/(4x)? If so, that's a much simpler problem, whose limit is 1.75, as x approaches 0.
  5. Nov 2, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[tex]\frac{sin(3x)}{4x}= \frac{3}{4}\frac{sin(3x)}{3x}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{sin(5x)}{sin(2x)}= \frac{5}{2}\frac{sin(5x)}{5x}\frac{sin(2x)}{2x}[/tex]
  6. Nov 2, 2008 #5
    HOW IS IT 1.75!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wheres the flaw in my logic.

(sin5x)/sin2x = [((sin5x)/(5x*2x)]/[(sin2x)/(5x*2x)]
    = (5/2x)/(2/5x))
    = 25/4

(sin3x)/4x = [(sin3x/3x)]/[(4x/3x)]
    = 3/(4x/3x)
    = 3/(4/3)
    = 9/4

25/4 - 9/4 = 16/4 = 4 where is my flaw!!!???
  7. Nov 2, 2008 #6

Halls, are you missing a division symbol in your second equation?
  8. Nov 2, 2008 #7

How did you get (5/2x)/(2/5x)) from the expression above it? lim (as x [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] 0) of sin(5x) / (5x) is 1, not 5, if that's what you did.

The expression on the right side of your first line is equal to
    [tex]\frac{sin(5x)}{5x} * \frac{5x}{2x} * \frac{2x}{sin(2x)}[/tex]
    As x [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] 0, this expression approaches 1 * 5/2 * 1 = 5/2. Similarly sin(3x)/(4x) approaches 3/4, so the difference approaches 7/4 = 1.75.

Regarding my earlier question about whether the denominator of the first fraction should have been 2x rather than sin(2x), it doesn't matter. For x close to 0, sin(x) [tex]\approx[/tex] x, and sin(2x) [tex]\approx[/tex] 2x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?