1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of logarithm of square roots function

1. Jul 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to prove that the following limit holds when

[tex]\sqrt{s}>>m[/tex]

[tex]\log\left(\frac{\sqrt{s}+\sqrt{s-4m^2}}{\sqrt{s}-\sqrt{s-4m^2}}\right) \rightarrow \log\left(\frac{s}{m^2}\right)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried several manipulations using logarithms properties but had no success.

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2010 #2

Mute

Homework Helper

You don't need to bother with the logarithm, just focus on the stuff inside. I'll give you a starting hint; you should provide the rest of your workings after that if you can't get it and want further help. To start, I would pull the factor of [itex]\sqrt{s}[/itex] out from the top and bottom of the fraction inside the logarithm. Find the limiting form of the fraction in your desired limit.

4. Jul 23, 2010 #3
    Hello Mute, thanks for the help. I've managed to do it, after Taylor expansion of [tex]\sqrt{1-x}[/tex], where in my limit:

[tex]x=\frac{4m^2}{s}\rightarrow 0[/tex].

As I'm under some time pressure to finish this, very bigg, home exam I'm already not thinking so clearly..

Thanks again

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook